Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Need help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 4 times a week for 2months now and just run on my own program. I run mainly for 2 reasons: health and fitness. I started 1 mile initially then increase to 1.5 and now struggling to complete the 2. My present goal is to run non-stop for 30mins but most of the time I can sustain for only 20mins the most. I know I can do it if I put in more effort and time. My question is: "do I need to gradually increase the mileage every week as mentioned in the books or even here? I'm not going for any race or even weight loss. So should I just run 2 miles*4 every week and forget about mileage increase?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Newbie']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gradually increasing mileage and/or pace will make you feel better over time, not to mention fitter. However, don't try to increase *every* week, as that will just make you flat and injury prone. Every 4th week, it is wise to level out or even decrease the mileage, then start increasing again the next week.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I dislike Galloway's training methods for most people. I think you might want to look at his program.

You might want to try to go say 3/4 of a mile and walk for a couple of minutes and then go 3/4 of a mile. You can build your miles that way. Keep your running pace comfortable. Don't race your mile or two. Just enjoy being outside.

Soon you jogging will be like walking and you can do it your entire workout. The goal should ultimately be to jog the entire time but take baby steps to get there.

Keep it fun and enjoy it. Don't make your training to be work. Look forward to being outside for the workout and appreciate the effort you put out in your glow afterward.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie, I concur on not increasing every week. Take that 4th week as an easy week and let the body recover. Remember though that if your body is accustomed to a specific distance it will feel uncomfortable when you add more distance. That is why you have to add the distance gradually and run slower on the runs where you are increasing the length. Then as your body gets accustomed to that distance it will become routine.

Leechboy, out of curiosity what do you not like about the Galloway method? I am not necessarily a firm proponent but I do think a lot of his theories make sense.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing Newbie. You ask if you should increase mileage or stick to 2 miles four times a week. That depends...what are your running goals?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. MicahWard, my present goal is to run 30mins non-stop. Again, do I need to set another goal after achieving that as I'm just running for health and fitness and not race?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Newbie']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be very helpful to set short and long term goals. Your short term goal is to run 30 minutes non-stop. But what happens when you achieve that? Not having an additional goal(s), such as completing a 5k/10k or running for an hour, can result in a loss of motivation and/or improvement.

There is a fine line between setting goals too high, resulting in discouragement, and not high enough. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself, but be realistic about your current ability, whatever that may be.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah,
I don't like Galloway's ideas for some people who have the natural talent to seek faster times. There is no way in the world that someone with talent who uses his methods would reach their potential by walking in a marathon.

Dan, again good advice.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie, Dan is right about the danger of losing motivation after achieving your goal. Running 30 minutes 4 times a week for health is a laudable goal in and of itself. But before you say that you do not want to run a race give it some thought. I have been running since 1977 and I love the races. I am not fast and I have no chance of winning but now that I am getting older I sometimes take home an age group medal if the crowd is small enough. But even without the medal just the atmosphere and camraderie of the race participants is great. Please give it a try before you rule it out.

Leechboy, I agree 100% that someone with natural talent will not reach their potential by walking. However, I don't think Galloway means that for the elite...he means it for us first timers and back of the packers. In "Galloway On Running" he has training programs for beginners through sub 2:30 runners. My question though is on his heavy reliance on 400's for speed work. I would think there would be more tempo runs or long sustained runs at slightly slower than race pace.

All for now except that I have a stress fracture and am limited to 20 minutes walking every other day. BUMMER!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the stress fracture. How'd that come about?

I also find it odd when I see triathletes and marathon types doing 400's and shorter. They're rarely done at a high enough intensity to be considered speed development, but the distance is too short to do much in terms of pace work. Keeping the recoveries short and the volume high works on endurance, but no more so than a tempo run, like you said.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: