Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Internet Explorer Alternatives ????

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPdate ... Am now using Mozilla ... Reinstalled it and went through and individually installed some Plugin ... Have audio and video as well as some other stuff... Ready to stay away from IE !!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what changed this time around?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My installation of the plug ins ... I had assumed that they were there at the start ... But someone on the Mozilla message board suggested that I reinstall the browser and then take the time to individually install the plug ins ... So I did and I can do everything now ..
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems experimenting with Firefox and Mozilla alpha/beta versions. But once I installed the main version of Mozilla with all the plugins it has worked great. I definitely prefer the tabbed browsing now, much easier all in one window.

Another benefit of Mozilla, if you go into preferences, is that it's pretty easy to block undesirable pop-ups and cookies without screwing up how desirable web-sites work.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The popup blocking is certainly nice, but boy are Mozilla's cookies flaky. They've been randomly resetting on certain sites every few days.

Dan
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea why that happens? I don't think I've had that problem. There is one thing in preferences where you can limit the max lifetime of cookies, so they disappear after a set number of days. Would that be it? Confused
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm happy to say that I'm having a great time now with Mozilla ... Especially going back and forth between pages .... Tabbed browsing is great !!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's it, because some sites lose the cookies regularly and others hold indefinitely. Seems to just be a glitch somewhere. Not surprising, considering it's 1.x and IE still can't get stuff right in 5.x...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the browser wars coming along? CNET has been posting a lot of stuff lately about dumping IE.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving Firefox ... Its awesome ... I use it for browsing and Thunderbird for email and am having no problems with either one ... I've only found one or two web sites where I absolutely had problems because they were configured specifically for IE, but other than that it is so much better ... I recommend switching if you are so inclined ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed Firefox yesterday on my notebook. Minor differences between it and Mozilla (a bit less bugs, perhaps), but basically the same look and feel and both a breath of fresh air from IE.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after having Outlook Express crash on me a few times and losing all my inbox mail, 8000 pieces (that's no typo Embarassed ), I decided to give Firefox and Thunderbird a try. So far, I am very happy with the pair. Downloads seem to be 15-20% faster with Firefox. Web pages load noticeably faster. I like the feature in Thunderbird that doesn't load images in the mail until you request it. For all those short, free newsletters in the mail, it is perfect for reading it and getting rid of it without the download time.

Just the last three months or so, I have started getting some junk mail. Some of it is financial stuff, other is pharmacy stuff. so I am starting to mark this mail as junk to see how that feature operates.

Feel free to yuk it up on my account, I'm sure I have reset the standard for PC housekeeping!! Embarassed

Paul

Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing. I'm beginning to feel that this whole idea of bundled software imbedded in the OS is not such a splendid idea, even if its all free. I downloaded Outlook Express a couple of times, but my computer wouldn't let me run the program, so I couldn't get it to normal itself. I would keep getting some DLL errors with OE and have to restart my computer. I am running ME, and I know a lot of people have had problems with that platform, but this is the first real problem I have encountered in 3+ years.

Migrating everything from OE and IE came off without a hitch, although I did have to do some bookmark rearranging.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using OE about a year and a half ago and have never looked back. The Bat! also has the feature like Thunderbird (I think that's where Thunderbird got it from, actually) of not viewing images and HTML in-line in messages by default, which makes it a lot less virus-prone.

I recently switched from Mozilla to Firefox, as the latter seems a bit further along in the development cycle. Both seem quite nice and almost as refined as IE, so I'm quite happy with that switch.

And I agree about bundled software being a problem more often than not. Be it incompatible (or inexplicable never installed) drivers or internal crashes that make it impossible to uninstall and reinstall, they end up being a real headache.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both Firefox and thunderbird and have been for a while as you can see from this thread ... I am very happy with the switch ... And as far as losing data, there is MozBackup which will allow you to make a backup of any of the mozilla programs ... So I now routinely backup Thunderbird, so that none of the emails I "save" from clients, important threads, etc gets lost ... Make a periodic backup and then move the file to a CD ... If the computer crashes or gets lost or whatever, your documents are safe !!!!

But I love these programs so much more than the microsoft ones ... I've also found an alternative to Microsoft Office called Open Office ... It is a collaborative effort like the Mozilla Project and is based on an original Sun Mocrosystems project ... I still use Microsoft Office but have been playing around with Open Office ... It will open and save in Microsoft and other formats and is pretty nifty ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: