Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Microsoft Outlook alternative !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Microsoft Outlook alternative !!! Reply with quote

OK ... Let's try something else !!! What email software are people using ??? Since I am on my anti Microsoft kick, I think I might try something other than Microsoft Outlook ... Anyone using anything else with success ?? Mozilla has one (thunderbird I think) ... And I've heard Eudora is pretty good ... What do ya'll think ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird is a good alternative, and free. I tried it last year and it didn't quite seem ready for prime time, but it may have advanced since then. I ended up going with Ritlabs' The Bat!, which is a low priced commercial alternative heavily recommended for a number of years. Great program, but it's got memory allocation issues on Win XP that they haven't been able to resolve yet. I have to ctrl-alt-delete shut it down a few times a day when it locks up...

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I've used Eudora in the past and absolutely despised it. Their designers went out of their way to make using it as unenjoyable an experience as possible.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What didn't you like about Thunderbird ??? Now that I have Mozilla working I really like it ... I think they may be on the same level with Microsoft ... So may be worth a try ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, there were still some bugs that needed working out, some features I required (multiple accounts) not fully supported yet, etc. I think it was still a beta release at that time.

Dan
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Fastmail. Thumbs Up

http://www.fastmail.fm

To compare all the options, the Google directory of email software and providers is a good place to start:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/E-mail/

There are hundreds of choices... Surprised
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Fastmail an actual email provider (i.e. Hotmail), not an email client for using with another provider (i.e. Outlook Express)?

When it comes to email clients, there's little out there that gets better than average reviews...

Dan
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastmail is a web-based email service, but Hotmail is not a fair comparison. It's way beyond Hotmail or any other typical email provider. Fastmail has none of the typical limitations of web-based email (ads, spam, limited storage space). I've used it for about three years and have never gotten a single piece of spam. I can also check all my work and website email address within Fastmail and respond as if from those other addresses.

As far as I can tell, Fastmail has all the best features of any email software, but it's more convenient because being web-based, it's available in the same way on any computer.

I've used a variety of software including Outlook and Mozilla, and a variety of providers including Hotmail and Yahoo, and for me Fastmail has worked much better than any of those.
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify my last post, Fastmail is a web-based alternative to software like Outlook because it works with any email address, not just the fastmail.fm domain.

If I worked for Nike, for instance, I could check my "adam@nike.com" email and send email from "adam@nike.com", all within Fastmail.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that sort of accomplishes the same thing, but I'm not a fan of web based email for primary usage. I prefer response time being dictated by my computer, not by someone else's server...

Dan
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end result is exactly the same, although having it go through one more set of servers can admittedly be an occasional problem.

For me the convenience of checking all my email at the same site in the same way no matter where I am outweighs the slight potential inconvenience of a few additional hours of downtime per year, which is all I have typically experienced with Fastmail.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I understand what you're saying about Fastmail ... but I have this thing about being able to turn on my computer and open my email right now ... And have my files right here on my computer ... And I have a high speed connection (broadband) ... I'm leaning heavily towards downloading Thunderbird ...
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice on the site, and the encryption/security features sound good. I'd be interested to hear your experience since I've had a lot of problems with any of the Mozilla software I've tried below 1.0.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've looked at it over and over and have decided to try using the email client that is already in Mozilla ... It should be basically the same thing, and Mozilla has been through several revisions already ... So I am hoping that that translates into greater stability than if I went with Thunderbird solo ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: