Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Want to start running at 39

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a "former" athlete and still "look" pretty good---most people assume because of the looks that I am in shape--- but my cardio is simply terrible. I don't know where to begin and the net is just a highway of info confusion...anyone have some simple advise and guidance? Support would be nice too.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'celia wolef']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you currently doing?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a mother of two young boys and stay moderately active with them -- walking, occassionally canoeing, swimming....but not much else as far a cardio goes. I am having a hard time motivating and getting started as in the past I have always been "fit". If I ran a 1/4 of a mile my heart rate would double and my head pounds. In the military (3 yrs) I ran several miles daily...but can't get started now. I am stuck and desparately want to get unstuck. My goal is to one day run a marathon...but thats a great distance away...

[Anonymously Posted by: 'cw']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My goal is to one day run a marathon...but thats a great distance away...
No pun intended? Smile

Probably the single best thing you could do is find a good training partner. That will greatly reduce the difficulty in motivating yourself to get started. Aside from that, the difficult thing is that the only real way to get better at running is to run. As you have found, most other activities simply do not work you aerobically in the same way that running does, so the conditioning does not carry over very well.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I had a chance to think about this...I KNOW I will one day run a marathon...anything I put my mind to--I do...I just don't want to kill myself in the start up. Do you have a suggestion towards a possible schedule? Thanks Dan.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't believe in a schedule when it comes to starting up. I think a schedule does more harm than good unless you are in good enough shape to adhere to it and push its limits a bit. Otherwise, I would recommend simply alternating days of easy jogging and other activities such as biking, walking, swimming, weights, etc.

The reason I think a training partner is by far the most important factor is that it makes training when out of shape at worst half as difficult as it would be otherwise. Given that, it drastically changes what you are capable of and how difficult it is to accomplish, making a schedule worth less than the paper it's written on...

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it---so how do I go about finding a training partner in my area? Put an ad in the paper?...that could be risky for a woman...funny--just these few words back and forth with you has started me at least doing some situps and pushups...I HAVE begun...

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way would be to visit a running store and ask about group runs, look up a local club, or just head over to a track and see if you bump into anyone of similar interest. There's also the Training Partner Locator right here on Run-Down. Feel free to take a look through it, there may be someone in your area.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you so much Dan. I will definitely try those avenues. By the way...I have noticed that you respond to the majority of these 'conversations' -- are you the "web expert" and if so, in what way? Thanks so much again for your help.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Hopefully, you will find someone of similar abilities and goals, which will make your endeaver *much* easier.

I'm called all sorts of things, web expert being one of the nicer ones. Smile I am actually the creator and maintainer of Run-Down. The site began mostly as a personal site, thus the original dankaplan.com domain name, and eventually grew into more of a general resource. I try to answer any question in the forums that hasn't already been answered by someone else, which is why you see my name in most of the conversations.

Cheers,
Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celia, I'll throw in my two cents worth. Running partners are great but remember that if the partner can't make it or drops out, you still have to keep going on your own. I would recommend a flexible schedule that starts with 20 minutes of walking every other day. After a week or 10 days walk 9 minutes and run slowly for 1 minute then walk 9 and run 1. Every week to 10 days decrease the walk time by a minute and increase the run time by a minute until you make it to a full 20 minutes of running every other day. At that point you can start looking at articles in running magazines or reading books on running that will give you the principles for increasing toward that marathon goal. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Micah Ward
mrward@frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That walking bit is great advice. One mistake new runners often make is they consider it a failure to stop and walk on a run if they get tired. Don't worry about it. Listen to your body, and baby yourself at the beginning.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Donk']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: