Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Internet Explorer Alternatives ????

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Internet Explorer Alternatives ???? Reply with quote

I hate using Internet Explorer ... Am ready to switch to something new ... Anyone have any preferences or success with a different browser ???

Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, Netcaptor, and Opera are the big names out there ... I used Opera in the past ... Not sure why but just something about it I didn't like - probably the ads that it runs ... Tried Mozilla last year and had trouble running lots of pages ... Also tried Netscape last year and for whatever reason it seemed slower to me ..

Suggestions ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using Netscape a couple years back and never cared for Opera. The early Mozilla versions I tried didn't seem ready yet, so I stuck with IE until a month or so ago. Gave Mozilla another try and it seemed much, much better. Been using it full time ever since and am mostly happy with it.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it with pages that use stuff like special extensions ... Special udio and video kinda stuff ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to download and install the plugin for much of that stuff, as it doesn't come bundled. Some plugins work better than others... The Java install died on me and it doesn't seem to recognize PDFs as something it can open in the browser. Flash works fine.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you see as the difference between Mozilla and Netscape ??? Aren't they on the same platform ??

And what version of Mozilla do you have ??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the latest versions of Netscape, but I found it to be getting extremely bloated and not stable on the OS I was using (Win 2000).

I'm using Mozilla 1.7rc3, I believe. I know 1.7 final came out not too long ago.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... I'm gonna try <he says with fear> ... So you're recommending the full blown Mozilla and not the lighter version Firefox ??? <hands trembling> ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't try Firefox, but I've heard equally good things about it.

Just do it, don't look back...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh Ohhh ... A Nike phrase ... And I'm an Adidas guy !!! That scares me ... Looked at the site and Mozilla has a Beta 1.8 ... Now I'm totally confused ... And with NNike staring me down ... Maybe I'll just give up on the Net completely ... Rolling Eyes
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then, Just Say No...

I would go with 1.7, not 1.8 beta, personally.

Quote:
Maybe I'll just give up on the Net completely ...

Me and you both. Neutral

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... Hadn't seen this yet and downloaded the latest Firefox ... Didn't go so well ... couldn't play any video ... It asked to download Realplayer ... I already had it on my system so thought it would download an extension ... It ended up downloading an older version than the one that was already on my system ... And still wouldn't play any videos ... Then it crashed 4 times in a row trying to display pages ... Needless to say that I did a System Restore back to yesterday and took it all off of my system ... I guess I'll give the regular Mozilla a try ... Although I am now more afraid than before ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's far from a ringing endorsement. My Mozilla install went off without a hitch, for what that's worth. Win XP.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ... I'm gonna try one more time ... This time with Mozilla 1.7 .. I hope it works ... I use a lot of windows at once and IE is a pain ... Not to mention their constant security issues ... But I also use a lot of audio/video sites and for whatever reason IE seems to have that locked down ... Supposedly the latest versions of Netscape are Mozilla based as is AOL's browser ... But Firefox (supposedly where they are putting their emphasis) was just a short term nightmare ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla's tabbed browser took a bit of getting used to, but I'm liking it now that I'm more familiar. Seemed more cumbersome than I expected at first. Definitely tidies things up with the typical dozen windows I have open at any given time.

Security issues were the primary reason I switched. Gave up on Outlook Express last year.

You can always fire up IE when needed for a specific, trusted A/V site that Mozilla doesn't support. Being part of the OS, IE loads pretty darn quick and doesn't add much nuisance in that case. Best of both worlds, in a sense.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh ... Tried Mozilla and Netscape ... Had the same problems with both ... finally reset my system back to July 1st and headed out to go watch the first day of the Trials ...

Trying to figure out what went wrong ... Put a post on the Mozilla support site ... Will see if anyone else out there is having similar problems ... Or perhaps I'm just lame ... Everything I read says it should work !! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: