FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
New Distance records

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: New Distance records Reply with quote

3 major Long Distance records have been shattered in the last week and a half. For Men the 5k and 10k records were smashed (5k, 12:37.35 by 2.01 seconds and the 10k, 26:20.31 by 2.44 seconds) and now for Women the 5k record was obliterated last night within the Bislett Games (firts Golden League meet of the season) by Turkey’s Elvan Abeylegesse, who ran 14:24.68 to smash the record by 3.41 seconds. And this race could have been almost 3-4 seconds faster, had it not been for the un-even pace!

IAAF.org - Report (split times for the race also included)
http://www.iaaf.org/GLE04/news/Kind=2/newsId=25578.html

And another new talent, Tariku Bekele (ETH) (He is Bekele's brother in case anyone didn't know) ran 13:21.49 to finish in 11th place in last night's TDK Bislett Games, in the first Golden League meet...
Kenenisa Bekele believes that his brother has more talent than he does...did I mention that Tariku was 17 years old???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary.

Big Bekele isn't all that old himself...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's scary is how these records keep dropping !!! I remember in 95 when a spate of record breaking took place in the distances ... I was like a whole new world had been entered ... Gebrselassie seemed to be from another planet ... And yet now it seems as if other inhabitants of this planet have landed !!!

I can just imagine what would be said if sprint records were attacked like this !!! I'm curious at this point to see how far one can push one's body !!! I remember when 13:00 and 27:00 were BARRIERS !!! Now we're looking at crashing through 12:30 and 26:20 as the new markers ...

Simply incredible ... And the women's record that was broken was a CHINESE record !!! So now were the chinese legit !!?? Just asking ... bottom line is we are seeing extremely awesome performances beign cranked out and we are at the START of the European season and still have the OLYMPICS to go ... Gonna be one heck of a season ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can just imagine what would be said if sprint records were attacked like this !!!

I've been biting my lip...

Quote:
I remember when 13:00 and 27:00 were BARRIERS !!!

Bekele ran a 13:05 to finish his 10k record. Surprised

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

Quote:
I remember when 13:00 and 27:00 were BARRIERS !!!

Bekele ran a 13:05 to finish his 10k record. Surprised

Dan

Exactly !!!! Don't get me wrong ... I love a fast race ... At ANY distance ... And I'm all for progress ... But Said Auoita was about as good as they got ... I thought ... Yet now guys are KICKING with what used to be his race speed !!!!!

Does anyone have the training habits of any of the new wave of stars out there ??? I'd be very curious ... I mean how much harder can an athlete train ??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even call it a new wave. Aside from Bekele, everyone else is running in line with the post-95 dropoff.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a comment from the well known Italian coach Renato Canova. I found it in a Google search for his marathon training methods. It came from LetsRun.com. Dan, if a legal issue exists posting this here, please remove it. I don't want it to cause any problems.

RE: Mr. Renato Canova: Can You Comment About Kenenisa Bekele and his new world records??

How you can see, I'm still in this post, of course, when I'm at home. I was in Ostrava, inside the track, at 200m (while Jos Hermens was on the finish line) for giving his splits to Kenenisa and my athletes. Kenenisa is absolutely a phenomenon out of every rule. Gebre was not a phenomenon, but a top runner with a phenomenal brain. He was the first Ethiopian able to understand the modern athletic, very different from the past, when athletes can prepare and compete only for 2-3 events during a season. The secret of Gebre was his continuity in training. In training, you never have to replace some type of workout, but always to add something. Gebre (his first competition, when was 16 years old, was a full marathon in Addis Abeba, where he finished n. 99 with 3:06) add speed to resistance, and resistance to his speed, using a correct modulation that allowed him to run 3:31 in 1500 and 2:06 in marathon (till now...). He was the best example for young Ethiopians. His presence in Ethiopian athletics is fundamental. He has charisma, and every one follows his example. When, in 2001, he was operated and lost the most part of the season in training, also the other Ethiopian runners were not able to prepare, running very bad. But in that year, the new generation emerged. Bekele, Sihine and Gebremariam (also if this one, officially born in 1984, is 2-3 years older than Bekele...) began to train with the some seriousness and perseverance of Gebre. In Kenya, nobody (except Shaheen and Kipchoge) had the same mentality.
I have the example of Nicholas Kemboi, my athlete that last year was able, in two months with me in St. Moritz, to move from 28:19 to 26:30. Being so young, it's not possible that in two months he could already reach his top. So, what Nicholas has less than Bekele ?
The values that I said before : perseverance, professionalism and seriousness. Nicholas is very serious, but to be serious in your life doesn't mean to be serious in training. Bekele, after winning World Championships, soon had in his mind the focus of beating the World Records of Gebre, didn't lose time, and used the winter for improving in his qualities. Nicholas, after his 26:30, relaxed till one month ago, always running, but NEVER TRAINING. There is a very big difference between TO RUN and TO TRAIN. If you don't stimulate your body, you cannot improve, neither to keep the same conditions. Adaptation is the main enemy of improvement.
So, the big difference is the mentality. Ethiopians are FULLY PROFESSIONAL, building their life for athletics and organizing every thing for improving their results. Kenyans are PROFESSIONAL ONLY DURING THE PERIOD OF THE RACES, losing many months every year for following their business at home, that nothing have to do with athletics and disturb them very much.
About the possibility of Bekele, believe me, he is still very far from his top. In Ostrava was windy, and his first half was normal. I think that in two years is really possible for him running under 26:00.
He has not the change of speed of the young Gebre or of Yifter, but seems to Viren in his final progression. His threshold is the higher all time. He has a natural hematocrite of 49%, while Gebre had 41%. He is technically perfect, and is very strong in his muscles.
But his main quality is his recovery. After a very tough workout, he can have only one day of easy run, then is able to work again two days later.
And who speaks about drugs is ridicolous, because he doesn't know anything about Africans. I repeat, my athletes (Shaheen, Hassan, Paul Kosgei, Nicholas Kemboi, James Kwalia, Moses Mosop, Rodgers Rop, Julius Nyamu, John Korir, Robert Kipchumba, Selina Kosgei, Dorcus Inzikuru and many other) eat only ugali, vegetables and meat, and drink only milk, water and orange. Never one of them asked me something about integrators. They have their power in the self confidence to be strong and to be able to train hard recovering naturally. And Ethiopians are harder than them.....
Anyway, remember one new name for the future : Wilson Busienei, from Uganda, already 27:29 in Hengelo. Look at his career, and can see like not only Kenyans and Ethiopians can reach the top.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another post from that same thread. Most of the posts get pretty inane as Dan knows, but sometimes a gem shows up. Caution: some language problems.

trackhead RE: Mr. Renato Canova: Can You Comment About Kenenisa Bekele and His New World Records??????????????????????????????? 6/14/2004 9:05PM - in reply to European runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

A.) Ethiopia has a nationalized program. Anybody who is talented and selected to run for the national team is either coached by Kostre or Berta, or by coaches that received their coaching education from them -- so everyone is running the same program (with the exception of their 800/1500 runner who runs for de Olivieria). People wonder why the Ethiopians are cleaning up at World Cross -- because they all have the same coach and can make coordinated efforts. It's not as if Bob K. and the rest of the American squade had all been training together for fitness and tactics specifically for a coordinated effort at World Cross. Just about everyone else shows up at the start, all with their own coach and plan and runs their own race.

B.) Their training isn't designed to destroy them. Yes, tough workouts will be tough but most of their running isn't blistering. Geb's schedule from 2001 went something like this:

MONDAY: 3hr (32mi) long run in the forrest (5:40/mi)
TUESDAY: AM 20x400m hills PM 1hr easy
WEDNESDAY: AM 1hr30m PM 1hr easy
THURSDAY: AM Hard 15-30km on the roads (4:30-4:50/mi [HM-MThon pace) PM 1hr easy
FRIDAY: AM Sprint work (16x60m in spikes on the track) PM 1hr easy
SATURDAY: AM Specific track work as needed PM 1hr easy
SUNDAY AM 1hr very easy PM no run

C.) Kenyans by contrast, are coached by whomever and all have their individual goals. Some train in Kenya, some in Europe, some in America and they all come from different backgrounds. Then they've got to race hard 6 weeks out from the big race to make the Kenyan team, and then the Kenyan coaches spend the next 6 weeks beating the shit out of their runners to make them faster, when they are really sucking the race right out of them. Imagine if you were a college athlete and everyone at your school all ran for different coaches with different philosophies and goals. Then 6 weeks before NCAAs you ahve got to qualify for the team and then your college coach interrupts your regular training and hammers you hard for the next six weeks, at the end of which you have to go race. It's not a good system, is it?

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but beyond degree of professionalism, it sure sounds like he's saying a lot of nothing in there.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff Paul ... What I find interesting is that the Kenyans are accused of working their athletes too hard ... And as I am reading Speed Trap, Francis says the exact same thing of American sprinters of the 60's and 70's ... Sooooo ... Does that mean that there is the potential to drop times in the distances even further ????
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
What's scary is how these records keep dropping !!! I remember in 95 when a spate of record breaking took place in the distances ... I was like a whole new world had been entered ... Gebrselassie seemed to be from another planet ... And yet now it seems as if other inhabitants of this planet have landed !!!

I can just imagine what would be said if sprint records were attacked like this !!! I'm curious at this point to see how far one can push one's body !!! I remember when 13:00 and 27:00 were BARRIERS !!! Now we're looking at crashing through 12:30 and 26:20 as the new markers ...

Simply incredible ... And the women's record that was broken was a CHINESE record !!! So now were the chinese legit !!?? Just asking ... bottom line is we are seeing extremely awesome performances beign cranked out and we are at the START of the European season and still have the OLYMPICS to go ... Gonna be one heck of a season ...

____I believe that the distance runners are not as dependent on the 'illegal' doping as the sprinters and other "explosive strength" athletes as well as they do not need 'illegal' support to break records as much as the "explosive strength" athlets do.
___I still keep words of Doctor Noakes, The Lore of Running 4_th edition, that pretty soon, the slow twitch athletes will be out of marathon, pushed into the 50 K or longer races, and will be replaced by the athletes whose genetic make--up was allowing them to be successful in the 800 or 1500 meter races during the 1960's and 1970's.
____Simply, as more money is handed out to the winners of the marathon races, the quality of the participants will grow.
Robert "Drago" "Hornet" "Scooter 69" "Kolaczek" Kolakowski
Elizabeth, NewJersey, 07206,
908-558-7487.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we can add the 3k steeple to the list of huge WR's this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: