Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
beginner looking for [shoe/program/gadgets]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefrunninwolf
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: beginner looking for [shoe/program/gadgets] Reply with quote

hey guys, i love the forum!

i'm a 23 yr old cigs/pot smoker. Having just graduated from college a week ago, i'm really looking to change my lifestyle dramatically. I used to be a really good sprinter from grade school to highschool, even have a hurdles relay medal from the masachusetts state track meet. However, these 4 years of smoking cigs and blunts in college have really put me in a bad shape. So i'm planning to make a comback this summer by quitting smoking and picking up running and cycling.

could anyone recommend a good running program or running/cycling cross training program for a beginner?

also, i have been hearing a lot about these heart rate monitors and distance and time watches. could anyone give me their inputs on these products and how helpful they are in helping improvents? so far all i find are pure heart rate watches or pure distance and time watches.... but i liked to find a watch that has both of these functions. does such thing exist? let me know what you think!

also, could anyone let me know of a good running shoes to get? i've been looking into nike's zoom spiridon but i'm not sure if that's any good, and also what are the pronator factor?

on top of this, i'd like to ride a roadbike too for training, so if there are any cyclists here, i'd be thrill to hear about your cross training. for example, how much time you put into running, and into riding. how much distance you go for them each week.

finally, due to the cancer sticks and blunts, i've lost a good 20 lbs through my 4 years at college... i used to weigh at around 155-160, but now i'm a measly 135-140 twig.... so i'm also planning to get back on some weight lifting to get my weight back up........ but my question is will all these running/cycling keep me like a twig?

oh yeah, let me know if you know any good sites on cycling and running. i'd really appreciate it.

-chiefrunnin'wolf
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me you won't want to monitor what your heart's doing after 4 years of abuse. Wink

Micah will probably recommend a walk/jog ratio plan to get you going, which is a perfectly reasonable way to start. I tend to be of the mind that the only way to do something is to just go out and do it. Plans are a way of avoiding getting it done... Just start jogging a few times a week and pick up the frequency and duration and intensity as you start getting the feel for it.

As for shoes, go to a local running store and have them fit you. Tough for any of us to answer what will suit you best.

Dan
PeterJ
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not the expert in running, but I started running 2 years ago and I can tell you my experiences. I was in bad shape possibly even worse Embarassed.
I didn't really start with a plan except to run 4 to 5 km (2.5 to 3 miles) 3 to 4 times a week. I used a heart rate monitor, because a good friend and runner gave me the adivse to run slow, and better even slower. Which meant to me at a rate between 140 and 150. At this point this was near to walking, but I ran. As soon as my rate went above 150 I stopped running and walked until it went down to 130, the I restarted running.
This whole exercise was really a pain, because you feel bad, the people feel sorry for you and some laugh ... My first 4 km took me 42 minutes!
I ran every second day, to give my body a chance to recover. I continued this for 6 weeks, and I must tell you this was the hardest time I had. I always thought about quitting the whole "nonesense", because I thought: "I am not a runner, too old, too fat, no giftedness at all" Embarassed
(nowadays I still think this might be true, but who cares, I am crazy).
After this first period it becomes easier, the fun started and after 3 monts I ran 10km in 1 hour and 24 minutes! I also started to increase the training days and distances. After 6 months I was at a point to be either satiesfied with the achievement and run by listening to your feelings continue or to "work" with plan and improve futher on.
Bottom line: my recommendation is start without a plan, just do it 3 to 4 times a week, the decision about a training plan comes later.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dan predicted I advise a walk/run ratio. Don't get too hung up though on precise numbers of minutes for each. Just go out and walk 45-60 minutes a few times and then start working in some slow running as you feel up to it until you are running the entire time.

I also agree with Dan about going to a specialty running store for the shoes. I've been running 27 years and wouldn't dream of buying shoes anywhere else.

And as Peter said, it will be tough at the start but hang in there and you will do fine.

Keep us posted....and stay away from anything that has smoke coming off the end. Wink
LATL
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the triax C8 heart rate monitor it also serves as a timer/stopwatch it retails for $119 but it is worth it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: