FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
"Transition" weeks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: "Transition" weeks Reply with quote

I've noticed that in several training programs, it is suggested that you include an easy week of training between phases, with slightly lower mileage. What is the reason for this? or is there one? or is it just a convenient place to put easy weeks that need to go somewhere? :question:
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it's to avoid getting into a rut. Most people will bog down with more than 3 weeks straight of hard training or identical training. Cycling it down for a week then gearing back up helps maximize the ensuing weeks.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea behind the easy week is to give the body and mind a little break. It can help in recovery from hard efforts and with injury prevention.

I am in my 17th consecutive easy week...hehehe..... Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your body and mind must be well broken. Wink

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of what I figured. I was just wondering if there was a physiological reason for placing them between phases, rather than anywhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="graeme"]That's kind of what I figured. I was just wondering if there was a physiological reason for placing them between phases, rather than anywhere else.[/quote]

You can probably find a hundred ways to schedule training and they will all work if they incorporate the scientific principles from which the standard has been derived.

Your quote that pain is weakness leaving the body, ties cost to benefit quite closely. Though you might rephrase, that the body's response to pain is weakness leaving the body, to emphasize that recovery is the only way to get the benefit of our efforts.

Somebody might get the prize if they can find ways to stimulate a greater response by the body with less effort and risk of injury. Or, at least one could imagine monitoring body chemistry to derive an optimal training schedule. They do some of this with horses.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's called performance enhancing drugs. Wink

Actually, there's a fair amount already known about how to maximize the benefits of given training regimens. That's largely the idea behind periodization.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I believe that's called performance enhancing drugs. Wink

Actually, there's a fair amount already known about how to maximize the benefits of given training regimens. That's largely the idea behind periodization.

Dan

Drugs can boost red blood cells (EPO), speed recovery (STEROIDS), numb pain, speed up the body (caffeine, amphetamines ...).

They all have side effects, may be addictive and are illegal to abuse.

My suggestion to amplify the body's regenerative response to stress did not exclude non-drug approaches, maybe, approaches that signal that regeneration without hormone-like drugs and without doing damage.

Periodization is suboptimal unless athletes have accurate knowledge of their own particular limits and state of recovery at any given time. Though successful training requires periodicity.

Certainly, monitoring various enzymes in the blood and other fluid markers to determine degree of recovery is legal, harmless and beneficial. Horse trainers do some of this, so I am surprised it does not get more application with people--though the investment in horses is much greater.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do monitor enzymes, and try to train in such a way as to optimize them, but you have to remember that not only are there important factors aside from enzyme production, but changes in enzyme levels can have various effects. People are more willing to take risks with horses, if they do something that causes major health problems, it's not as big a deal..... apparently. Plus, most people don't have the ability to measure which enzymes are in their blood and how much of which steroids and other hormones are there. In this case, people have to use generalized training programs, then make them more specific through experimental results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graeme wrote:
People do monitor enzymes, and try to train in such a way as to optimize them, but you have to remember that not only are there important factors aside from enzyme production, but changes in enzyme levels can have various effects. People are more willing to take risks with horses, if they do something that causes major health problems, it's not as big a deal..... apparently. Plus, most people don't have the ability to measure which enzymes are in their blood and how much of which steroids and other hormones are there. In this case, people have to use generalized training programs, then make them more specific through experimental results.

You know you've made it when the SPCA comes to your defense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: