Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
BRACKETS BRACKETS BRACKETS

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: BRACKETS BRACKETS BRACKETS Reply with quote

My Final Four:

Gonzaga, Pittsburgh, Duke and Connecticut.

Gonzaga beats Duke in the Championship.

But I'll hedge that bet by saying Kentucky will probably win it all. My head says Kentucky, my heart says Gonzaga.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzaga = GA? Neutral

You might be the only team in the country picking the Zags... Definitely the only one from outside this region!

I haven't watched much college hoops this year, but my impression has been the top teams are really 10-15 types, not 1-5's.

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzaga?! I have them losing to Boston College in the Sweet Sixteen.

My final four is Kentucky (duh), Pittsburgh, Duke (duh), and Maryland, with Duke taking it all.

First round upsets include:

13 Illinois-Chicago over 4 Kansas
10 Nevada over 7 Michigan State
12 Manhattan over 5 Florida
10 South Carolina over 7 Memphis
9 Arizona over 8 Seton Hall
12 BYU over 5 Syracuse
11 Western Michigan over 6 Vanderbilt
10 Dayton over 7 Depaul

Other major upsets:
Boston College over both Georgia Tech and Gonzaga, entering the Elite 8 Surprised
Texas Tech over St. Joe's in 2nd round
Xavier over Mississippi St. in 2nd round
Wester Michigan over NC State, entering the Sweet Sixteen

In reality, I'll be pleased if I get one right. Rolling Eyes
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, we think with our hearts, and make unlikely to come true predictions Sad . However, even the most improbable predictions may come true. Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was betting money I would go with Kentucky but I just have this gut instinct that this may be the 'Zags year. There will be some upsets but not as many as you think Will. But then again maybe there will......... Confused

The one team to watch out for if they are hot is GA Tech. They are actually a year or two away from being a top 10 team but they are the type of team that could make a "Cinderella run" all the way to the Final Four.

This will be fun because there just may be as many upsets as Will predicts. No one is really dominating and the teams with the fewest losses, St Joes and Stanford, have histories of losing early in Stanford's case or coming from a soft conference in St Joe's case.

Let the games begin.
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another high seed I could see making it to the Elite Eight (and maybe even higher) is Wisconson. They were absolutely shafted with a 6th seed and are ranked 10th in each poll. They looked great this past weekend and may be able to ride this momentum into the Final Four.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it weren't for Stanford finally losing to UW, I'd say anyone's a fool for betting against them this year. They had a deal with the devil, but I'm thinking it may have finally run out.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave it to a bunch of distance runners to make all the safe picks !!! Don't ya'll realize that the NCAA tounament is about two things - upsets and getting on a roll ... St Jos and Stanford have had their rolls already ... They are now human and vulnerable ... And Stanford used up all their luck trying to go undefeated ... Here is the Final Four

Ga Tech - Micah should be happy
Arizona - Lute Olson knows how to get it done
Pitt - Has a couple real good players that could carry them
U Conn - Two of the best players in the country in my opinon ..

In a weak season like this one, won't take much for someone to get rollin and go all the way !!! Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked over the brackets, but I hear UConn's is much easier than the other three.

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentucky has the easiest bracket. The number 2 seed is Gonzaga, who I believe should be about a 3 or 4. A potential 3rd round match-up against NC State, 4th round match-up against Maryland, and 5th round match-up against Stanford should provide the Huskies with quite a bit of competition.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanford sounds like the only potentially tough team in there, although Gonzaga as a #2 is certainly an eyebrow raiser. Didn't U of Portland beat them this year? Confused

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Gonzaga's only two loses were to St. Joe's and Standford. No shame in losing to two of the best teams in college basketball.

Conecticut has only played one team in their bracked (Syracuse) and they're 1-1 against the Orangemen. Let me retract a statement I made in my last post. UConn doesn't won't face both Maryland and Stanford, only one of them. That just made their path to the Elite 8 easier.

Oh well, we'll see in about 60 hours. I have Thursday and Friday off so I'll probably watch about 10 hours of TV each day. Rolling Eyes
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brackets are pretty soft ... Only 1 or two really strong teams in each one ... Upset specials !!!! The coaches with lots of experience and the teams with a true star or two have the advantages ... This is going to be the kind of tournament where a kid can carry a team all the way ....
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you saying about safe picks Conway....I got two of the same as you and I have Gonzaga....nothing safe there and Duke isn't safe this year either....so there Razz

It seems to me that Arizona never quite gets as far as they should so I would be surprised to see them in the Final Four.

GA Tech???? One of the scariest teams in the tournament and their game against UNC may be the best game of the tournament. They are one of those teams that can get hot and beat anyone. I would not be surprised to see them in the Final Four. And if they lose to UNC, I would not be surprised to see UNC in the Final Four! And if either one is to make it there they have to potentially beat Duke on the way.

Is this exciting or what???????? Very Happy
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the NCAA basketball tournament is the most exciting championship in sports ... Always uncertainty ... Even when you have "power houses" you're never quite sure ... Like I said its all about getting on a roll ...

I agree that Arizona never goes as far as they should ... And this time they shouldn't ... Which means they probably will !!!

I'm looking for some kid to just get hot and carry his team this year ... Kinda like when Kansas won bout a decade or so ago ... Or like when Never Nervous Pervous carried Louisville ... Something unexpected ... I mean when Stanford and St Jos come close to both going undefeated in the same year you know something "weird" is going to happen ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: