Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Neuroma or stress fracture?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suddenly experienced a pain between my 3rd and 4th metatarsals, mainly around my 3rd metatarsal. It is achy and spread on the top of my foot as I ran. I am in the end of my HS track season, and I had a meet on Saturday, didnt run on Sunday and suddenly today (monday) it was hurting like that, out of nowhere. Does anyone know what it could be?? I do have a history of stress fractures, however, I have not been running over 20 miles a week for the last mongth and all of that running has taken place on grass or a rubberized track.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Kelli']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a lot like a problem once had. I ran through it for quite a while, and from the x-rays, they couldn't tell if I was very close to a stress fracture or just recovering from one. As far as I know, it was caused by *very* gently bumping the top of my foot against the bottom corner of a coffee table. So, it is entirely possible that you could be dealing with a stress fracture off of low mileage. Definitely worth getting it looked at considering you have such a history.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my guess is that it is a stress fracture, or at least the very start of one. However, I have just this week of track left, and maybe 1 more if I make it to state. So, I took off today, just biked, but I have regionals tomorrow and friday. I am definately going to keep running those meets, since this is my senior year and all and I have an excellent chance to go back to state in the 800. Do you have any tips on doing this? And should I just keep cross training til i have to race, or try to throw some running in. I am in great shape and I am peaking now, so i dont need to continue hard training. I do not want to overstress my foot, but I also want to be able to race as well as I can.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Kelli']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking that all into account, I would go with mostly bike and swim workouts to maintain conditioning without aggravating the foot. You can get a decent cardio workout with bike/pool exercises, and you can simulate up-tempo running quite well with some standing hill sprints on the bike.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: