Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Budapest WIC Sprints

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day for the Sprints/Hurdles!!!

Gail Devers suprisingly (to me at least!) lost in the Women's 60mh final, running a season's best of 7.78s, just losing out by 0.03s to Canada's Perdita Felicien, who ran a new National, Personal and Championship record of 7.75s...she added the WIC title to her outdoor World title which she won last year in 12.53s (NR)...I see bright things for her this outdoor season and also for the future outdoor seasons...but I hope Gail can finally win the Women's OG 100mh title...a title which has eluded her in the last 3 OG! C'mon Gail...

The Women's 4x400m relay was another Russian demonstration event...with Russia winning and setting a new WR of 3:23.88s..smashing the previous record of 3:24.25s by 0.37s, also becoming the first team to dip under the 3:24s 'barrier' Indoors for the Women's 4x4...

As for the Men's 200m...It will be sad to see this event go from the WIC, but I'm sure that Dominic Demeritte (BAH) is happy to be part of World Indoor Championship history, being the last ever winner of this event...

America dropped the baton in the Men's 4x400m relay final...which resulted in disqualification...after Joe Mendal had a nasty tumble and the baton went flying only for Godfrey Herring to pick it up and get the USA into 3rd place...only yo be DQ-ed...

The sprints were pretty good today...but I feel the sprint events, like many others within this year's WIC, lacked the appearances of the big names on the global scale...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russians are awesome ... But I predicted that earlier in the winter ... This is an Olympic year and that's when they come out ...

That 4x4 was awesome ... I expect them to get back under 3:20 this year ... Definitely 3:19 perhaps 3:18 ... Man its been a long time coming ... I've been so tired of 3:22 winning gold medals ...

I also expect to see them as major players in the long sprints ... Nazarova and crew in the 400 could have as many as 3 finalists in Athens ... Especially if the US doesn't get its game together ... And Kapachinskaya will be a strong contender for gold in the Deuce ...

I love Devers, BUT I think Felicien is the real deal and may be tough to beat in Athens ... Devers got run down yesterday ... That does not bode well for outdoors ... Unless she shows up in Athens ready to go 12.40 ... In which case she will win ... But anything above that makes the gold fair game ...

The men's sprints are still a question mark as we head outdoors .. Gardener has a lot to prove yet ... Crawford still has some inconsistencies .. Mo ran one time ... Coby is still woefully inconsistent .. Drummond wasn't sharp ... And most of the guys expected to be major players didn't show ... The first few weeks of the outdoors season should be very interesting ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: