Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Brr...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan and DF, you guys are having it tough up there. Surprised

It is 26 degrees here this morning but at least we don't have snow or ice and it is climbing into the 50s in the afternoons. Hang in there, it can't last forever.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 was about our high the other day...

No sign of melting this morning, but it's supposed to warm up this afternoon. Then the flooding can begin...

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us Oregonians this is pretty bad. I hate it because there is no where to run. Unless I want to run in the middle of the main streets, I can't do anything. I heard Portland is worse, so Paul is probably in even worse shape than we are.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday night, Tuesday morning, I was the only person at work. Put in about 70 miles of driving between offices. It was very cold, in the low teens, with a wind chill near zero. The snow was very dry and just swirling around. By th time I came home Tues morning, it was just starting to accumulate. By the afternoon I had 12 inch drifts at places in my yard and up against the garage. Ice pellets were also coming down to settle on top of the snow. Tues and Wed we were pretty much socked in. I took some vacation time left from last year and took Tues and Wed night off. Yesterday I shoveled the driveway. What a workout.

The airport has been shut down since Tues. They are also out of de-icer. Today is the first day in over a week the temp at the airport has been above freezing. Its warmer where I'm at, but it is taking a long time for this snow to melt. Plus, I've got close to five foot walls of snow where I have shoveled.

Tomorrow it is supposed to reach as high as 59, but I will have to see it to believe it. The big difference between this year and Feb of '96 is the amount of rain that fell in '96. We had 8-9 inches in 5 days. The rivers just couldn't handle that on top of the snow melt that also occurred. I was on the power crew at the time, and we were looking at putting our biggest offices downtown on emergency power for 48 hours if the Willamette River breached the sandbags. It came to an inch. That was a 20 hour shift as I recall.

And long range forcasts are calling for more of this next week. We haven't had anything like this in 20 years. Winter training has been just putting up with the rain. We have a number of people in the running club that are going to the Arizona Rock and Roll Marathon this weekend. Talk about your forced taper. People have just been on their treadmills.

A few people actually did the Goose to Council Crest workout last Thursday (New Year's Day). Very cold and a lot of snow, but they said it was a lot of fun and the view was spectacular. There have been a number of people that have skiied in downtown Portland the last couple of days.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The big difference between this year and Feb of '96 is the amount of rain that fell in '96.

Yeah, it looks like the forecasts show the rain backing off. That rain was just relentless in '96. Looking out the window was like standing behind a waterfall ... for two weeks straight.

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a great week! Two and a half hours of school in five days. Five (easy) days next week followed by a three day week. It seems school gets easier and easier every year.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great, more snow and freezing rain forecasted for this weekend.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something interesting I was sent:

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?SLMO3

A few more feet and Salem is underwater...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high is that hill you live on? Surprised
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet I have at least 50' on the flood zone. Heck, my house is a good 15' above the street. The only flooding danger I would have is if too much water rushed down the hill behind me and busted through the foundation or something.

I was a bit more worried about flooding at my old place, since it was at a lower point and I had a little creek that ran right behind my back door/patio.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: