FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Improving 2 mile run times

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Improving 2 mile run times Reply with quote

I'm an Air Force guy who wants to maintain my rep as the fastest runner in my squadron following the recent arrival of a younger runner. At 30, I'm not willing to get beaten by a 19 year old on our weekly runs just yet!

I'd like to shave about a minute off my 2 mile run time. Currently guessing I"m at about 11:30... would like to see that come down to 10:30 or better.

I've been laid off of regular running for 4 months following arthroscopic knee surgery and some tendinitis that flared up after the surgery. Mostly better now. Doc told me to start running on it again as the knee is clean and the tendinitis will eventually go away.

Wish I'd known that 2 months ago!

Can anyone suggest a good program for improving times on runs of 1.5 to 2 miles? My goal is to be down to 10:30 or less by March, while allowing the tendinitis to heal. Might even start racing competitively later for additional improvement.

Thanks,
Mike
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try to get back in running controlling the pain level, and increasing the effort over a couple weeks. If it goes well, try to avoid flat or done on track intervals, try hill running instead. One month before the race, start flat or track intervals.
11:30 for two miles is about: 5:45 for a mile, 2:52 for 800 m, and 1:26 for 400 m. To be faster, you have to get your body used to running faster. Therefore, you should try, for example, 3 sets of 4 200 meters intervals at your race pace 10:30 for two miles or, if I am not mistaken, under 40 seconds per each 200 m with less then a minute break, and 3 minutes breaks between sets. 3 x 4 x 200 = 3 x 800 = 2400 or circa mile and a half. It is probably too little too late, but it may work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't this bring back memories. I was fastest in the 509th HQ Squadron at Pease AFB in 1983 when I ran the 1.5 mile in 8:24.

But now Pease is closed, the 509th was moved and I got old and fat. Be that as it may...you need to do some speedwork. How did you train in the past? I know a lot of coaches would have you doing 400s to build the leg speed. But I'm not a coach so keep that in mind with the advice I give. In 1983 I was doing runs of 2-5 miles 4 times a week but they were all at fast pace. I would go as fast as sub 6 on some of the 2 mile runs and rarely went slower than 7:30 on the 5 milers. I would also throw in surges in a couple of runs a week in a fartlek type workout. That training prepared me to run a fairly quick pace and hold it for the length of the race. I was able to run a 3 mile XC race at 5:57 pace and a 3.6 at 6:09 pace during that same period.

That's what worked for me, but it would be interesting to know what you were doing before the injury.
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you for your replies. My PB was 8:30 in the 1.5, ran on a 40 degree day with winds of 30 miles an hour.

Strange how I didn't beat that with more favorable weather conditions. Go figger.

My "training" has always been to simply go run 3-6 miles (usually 6 milers were twice a week) at a pace that feels good. "Feels good" means pushing it hard when I want to, and pushing just a little for the whole run. I've never done interval training or repeats.

I think intervals will definitely help. We have no hills here, so the closest thing I'd have to that is a treadmill. Ran a mile tonight just for grins... not my fastest, but it was a solid sub-5:45. Not bad for the fourth time I've run in a month and the first time I've run on the track in over 4 months.

Before the injury I did my normal training, but added softball games 3 times a week. Softball is BAD, OK? People should avoid softball (boo, hiss)! 10 years of running nearly every day without a problem, then one bad move during a softball game and my knee joint found some new tissue to tug on. Mad

Mike
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 1.5 time Exclamation

You are training very similar to my old program. Two six milers a week gives you enough distance work. I also like the fact that you are pushing the pace during those runs. Why not turn one of those six milers into a session of 400s or 800s? Running 4x800 with each 800 in 2:37 would get you used to running the pace you need to run 10:30. I wouldn't do the 800s but once a week though depending on how well you recover from hard workouts. Or a 4 mile fartlek with 5-6 surges of a minute each.

Whatever you do stay off the softball field! I subjected my 47 year old carcass to softball last summer for the first time in many years. I pulled a groin muscle. Sad
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo what Micah has written. If you put in an overdistance day once a week, like your recent half-marathon, that would benefit your aerobic training as you come back from surgery. If you could afford to race every weekend at a distance of 15K on up, and not go full out, use these as fun runs, that would cover that portion.
Tempo runs will help with your stamina, and are important as your body and joints reaquaint themselves to hard training, but it is the VO2 Max intervals that will make the difference. All out 1.5 and 2 mile trials are VO2 Max runs, so that needs to be dealt with in training. Besides the 800's, 4 x 1200 at current 2 mile pace with 800 jog inbetween would be a tough workout. Probably would want to take a couple of easy days after that kind of workout. 200's and 400's could be done at faster than race pace. As you get in better shape and your legs can handle the pounding, some flying 60's or 80's at 400 pace (I will assume here you can run 400 in close to 60 secs) will sharpen your running economy and turnover.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
I would echo what Micah has written. If you put in an overdistance day once a week, like your recent half-marathon, that would benefit your aerobic training as you come back from surgery. If you could afford to race every weekend at a distance of 15K on up, and not go full out, use these as fun runs, that would cover that portion.
Tempo runs will help with your stamina, and are important as your body and joints reaquaint themselves to hard training, but it is the VO2 Max intervals that will make the difference. All out 1.5 and 2 mile trials are VO2 Max runs, so that needs to be dealt with in training. Besides the 800's, 4 x 1200 at current 2 mile pace with 800 jog inbetween would be a tough workout. Probably would want to take a couple of easy days after that kind of workout. 200's and 400's could be done at faster than race pace. As you get in better shape and your legs can handle the pounding, some flying 60's or 80's at 400 pace (I will assume here you can run 400 in close to 60 secs) will sharpen your running economy and turnover.

Paul

Thanks for your reply. Glad I found this site--folks here are much more helpful (and much less antagonistic) that I had planned on... kind of like the folks at the half marathon last weekend. I've figured runners would generally be the overaggressive, "in-your-face" type--that's actually the main reason I've never run competitively. Just not into that kind of crowd.

Anyway... Sounds like best idea is to start short... After opening it up a little at the tail end of today's 5 mile run, I've realized how much out of shape I've become for fast running in the past few months despite taking on other activities like the cross trainer (hard), cycling, and swimming. My body simply isn't used to running fast anymore. Think the 200m sprints are something I can handle, and will work up to longer distances over the next several weeks or months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: