Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Eating before running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Runner's World Online:

Train your stomach

If you run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, you'll be able to go longer and harder if you train your stomach to digest while you run, says Nancy Clark, R.D., author of the Sports Nutrition Guidebook. In one study, cyclists ate a 400-calorie breakfast before exercising to exhaustion. On a different day they simply ate a big dinner the night before, but no breakfast. When they exercised after eating, they were able to ride for almost half hour longer. Train your stomach to handle food by first only having liquids like orange juice or sports drink. Then move on to light foods like part of a bagel or some dry cereal.

Any thoughts on this? What if you can't drink juice or gatorade within two hours of running without severely cramping up?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 15 year old XC and Track runner from Ontario. My coach is always telling us to eat about 2-3 hours before you race or train. Sometimes there are some slight exceptions to this depending on when you train (when you're in high school) and when lunch period is. But in general this helps me and I very rarely get cramps.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Kelly']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kelly,

I think it depends entirely on the person. In high school, I often had a problem with my lunch period being 2-3 hours before practice, and stomach troubles became part of my daily routine. It wasn't till college -- when I could eat on my own schedule -- that the problems subsided.

Looking back at the quote from Runner's World, it appears the study was on cyclists and the conclusion was regarding runners! If that's the case, I've got to call b.s. on the whole study. Running and cycling are completely different on the digestive system. I can go for a hard ride literally minutes after a large meal, while I have to wait 4+ hours to do the same with running.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, is there something abnormal when a peson has to go and take a #2 like three times before he races? I mean my last track meet I had to go to the defecation unit 3 times. Maybe it was nerves or a big dinner... whats up?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dan Dobra']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all that abnormal, just annoying... Probably a combination of nerves and diet.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: