Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Brr...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Brr... Reply with quote

We got dumped on last night, 6-8" of snow. Downed power lines, phone lines, and cable lines everywhere. Power was out from 1:30 am to 4:30 pm. Amazingly, my cable was working when power came back on, even though my cable line is down in the middle of the street and trucks have been driving across it all day. It must of yanked down one of the connection points and not snapped the line. For now, at least...

Lots of broken branches and trees bent over to the ground. Spent some time this afternoon clearing snow off some of them so they have at least a slight chance of bouncing back. These trees obviously aren't used to any degree of snow.

The scary thing is, from what I gather talking to neighbors, the power went out within minutes of my shutting down my computer and going to bed last night. I haven't shut my computer down in around a month, so that timing is rather uncanny. I told one neighbor I'll warn them before shutting off my computer next time. Neutral

I was mostly worried about the cable, though, since that's my internet connection and it appeared it might take a long time to get it fixed (still might). I called Comcast this morning when I saw the line down and couldn't believe their ineptitude. Here's the scoop... They cannot submit a service ticket if there's a network outage reported for the area, which it turned out there was. However, they also cannot determine the cause of the network outage, so they have no way of knowing if my line is the cause of the outage, related to it, or a totally different matter. So, they gave me a ticket number for the outage to call back periodically and see if it had been resolved, at which point I could again call back to place the service request. Never mind the 10+ minutes required each time just to get someone to talk to at the end of their phone maze... Would it be too much to ask to at least have a direct number for checking on outage ticket numbers??? Even the IAAF couldn't come up with a less efficient system if they tried.

The house is slowly heating back up, which is a most welcome thing!

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have you been out for a run yet Nanook? Wink

Seriously, that sounds tough! Do you normally get snow like that or is this a freak occurence? We would be in the same shape down here if it snowed one inch. At least the heat is working. Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the most snow any of us can remember ever for this area. 4-5 years worth fell overnight...

I went for a walk in the snow yesterday, but no running. Just walking was all my ankle could take. Yeah, my ankle is apparently a problem now, too. Rolling Eyes

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes my run in 2 inches of snow today seem a lot less significant Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No less significant than my 1.75 mile run on the treadmill this afternoon...

It sounds like we might be getting a few more snow storms over the next week, and very little of yesterday's batch has melted...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snow is starting again...

I was just outside, helping my neighbors' friends get their truck out of the sheet of ice, also known as our street. Good thing I had a bag of sand left over from building my front steps and pathway.

After they got the truck out, one of the guys nearly went MacGyver on my semi-buried cable in the street and was about to cut it despite my protests. He finally listened (I would've had to have gone Mike Tyson on him...), but by that point it was dug up from its resting place and too exposed to last many more crossings, so I went about clearing the huge pile of branches that had falled on top of it. Using that slack, I strung it up over some still-standing trees (helps to be up on a hill). It's now about 15' up over the street at the low point, so as long as it stays up in the trees and the trees themselves don't fall, it hopefully will last through the storm. Otherwise, you won't be hearing from me for a few days...

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the snow will all be gone by tomorrow night. Sad At least this gave me a reason to wear my new Columbia jacket. I went for a three mile walk yesterday and almost fell on my ass about a dozen times. At least I know I have pretty good balance.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forecast is changing by the minute... Last night's predicted snow storm never arrived, and it's unclear if we'll get the remaining ones predicted over the next 5-6 days. Just as well, it'll take me a few months to dispose of all the downed trees and branches in my yard through recycling...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were mostly down to slush last night, but it looks like we got close to a foot of new snow overnight and it's still coming down strong...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any relief in sight?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes, except that the weather reports are all out of whack and seemingly not very reliable at the moment.

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really surprised when I woke up this morning and saw all the new snow. It's not as icy as Monday, but there's quite a bit more. Rural and High were covered in slush today so I couldn't run. I'm not die-hard enough to go to the South track and shovel all the snow off of Lane 1 so I can run for one day.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My college coach one year spent I think 6 hours shovelling 300m worth of one lane on the track so we could get a long awaited speed workout in before our season opener. The snow all melted the next day. Rolling Eyes

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't he just use a hose with warm water or, better yet, have you guys shovel as part of your warm-up? Considering it was a speed day, did the coach leave any ice spots on the track? I think that'd would make things pretty interesting (although the AD probably wouldn't think so).
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why didn't he just use a hose with warm water or

How many track facilities have you seen with warm water faucets nearby? Confused

Quote:
better yet, have you guys shovel as part of your warm-up?

As I recall, he didn't tell us he would be doing it...

The winter weather in Walla Walla changed a number of workouts. There was one day where the temp dropped from I think mid-40's one day to 9 degrees the next! We had a fast workout scheduled that day, but coach called it off when it became clear no one could get loosened up enough.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: