Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Cross Country

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, I am getting excited about next Cross Country season, it will be my last season since I'll be a Senior. I plan on training very smart, and consistent. Tell me if you think this plan is good.

First of all, add 5 miles each week.

50-55-60-50-60-65-70-70-70-70. Last summer I got up to 45 miles, but over the winter I got to 55 and I was fine, but I only ran 55 miles for one week.

Also, I would like to run a long run each week, and add 5 minutes each week until I get to 120 minutes, I would begin at 90 minutes.

I also plan on running some long intervals, such as mile repeats around 5:30 or 6 minutes each.

And, once a week I would like to do a tempo run, with 4 miles of the run at tempo pace, or intervals at tempo pace.

I also want to cycle 3 times a week to build quad strength, since I seem to be slow on the hills. Cycling will make my quads more efficient too.

And, I plan on running strides at least 3 times a week, maybe up to 5 times a week to keep speed.

And lastly, I want to lift weights 3 times a week, and work out my legs (squats, legpress, leg curls, calf raises, leg extensions)

I really want to make my last season succesful. Last summer, my training was better than nothing, but it wasn't great. I would just step out my door and start running without a warmup. I only got up to 45 miles a week. I didn't have a long run. I only ran at a slow pace, no faster than 7:30 pace. I didn't run strides or anything!

You think that this plan is too much, or that it can be done?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

The plan seems solid. One thing I would change is the mileage progression. It's fine from a general standpoint, but realistically, you will probably need to plan for a down week or two in there (you've sort of got one already). Something like:

50-55-60-40-60-65-70-45-70-70

Keep the legs from getting stale and burned out...

My only other concern is that the leg weight work might be too much for combining with endurance work, but it depends a lot on the weight and reps.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Dan.

Yea, I forgot to change one of those 70s to a 50. But actually, instead of the first drop down do 50, I was going to put 40 like you put, but I thought you might think it was too low, but I guess not.

Hey Dan, I don't know if you can answer this but is it ok to run somewhat hard everyday on distance runs? Kenyans often run at 90% of ther max heart rate (everyday right?) so that is probably above my tempo pace, so does that mean I could reach heart rate levels high as I can tolerate before accumulating lactic acid? I just really don't know what pace I should be doing base training at.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always go with your gut feeling. Smile

I'm undecided about the intensity on long runs. My impression is that the best results are achieved when a portion of each run is done at a good pace (a la strides after every workout), not the entire thing or extended stretches on back to back runs.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, I wanted to ask what your opinion is on something...say when I get up to 70 miles a week, that means I would have to average about 11.5 miles a day. Now since I will have one long run a week, say 15-16 miles, that means I'll have to average 11 miles for the other 5 days of the week. I don't think I have ever run 9 miles straight 5 days in a row, but is that the best way to do it? Because Im thinking I might get tired. I think it would be more beneficial to just do the runs at once, because if I broke it up I would be doing double running days, but then I would only run 3-4 miles in the morning, and 5-6 miles at night.

But maybe if I just slow the pace every other day or something? I don't know, right now it is what I plan on doing but if I get too tired I can change it.

BTW, if I did do 11 miles a day, that will take me about 80 minutes per run per day, and my long run will be about 2 hours. Right now I can easily do 60 minutes every day. I know you can't tell me what my body can do but I would just like to know what you would do?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say mix it up as much as possible. The long run would obviously be continuous. That leaves you with five other workout days, two of which should be treated at "hard" workouts, i.e. probably best done continuous. The other three could easily be broken up into morning and afternoon runs and treated as endurance recovery work.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, all. I'm a high school sophomore, and it's been suggested to me that cross country might be a good thing to do next year. I'm not in great shape, so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how I could get into shape for X-C?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very simple: steadily increase your mileage over the summer to the point where 3-5 mile runs at a brisk tempo feel fairly comfortable. The cross country season is typically fairly short, so you don't want to head into the season in marginal shape.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: