Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Patellar Tendinitis--ARGH!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Patellar Tendinitis--ARGH!!!! Reply with quote

I had knee surgery in September to repair what one season of softball damaged that 12 years of almost daily running couldn't... (slight meniscal damage, but also some plica that I've had all along).

The recovery following the surgery had been going very well--the doctor even allowed me to start running again only 6 weeks after surgery. I ran PAIN FREE for just over three weeks, with no lasting loss of speed from pre-surgery days and was even able to run my 4 mile training course at speed without stopping--credit to a good post-op Physical Therapy program, renewed desire to run hard, and lots of rest for the legs.

Knee pain returned about 3 weeks after I resumed running--the doctor diagnosed this general achiness around the knee (especially on the inside of the knee and also just below the kneecap) as being patellar tendinitis. I've always had minor tendon tenderness right below the kneecap--to the touch--but never have had trouble going up/down stairs or standing up using only one leg.

The doctor broke my heart when he said to lay off the running for 2 weeks. He prescribed Vioxx as well.

So here I am, climbing the wall and not able to run--AGAIN. I've been using the cross trainer but seem to have some tendon pain after this morning's hard workout so may have to give that up and go strictly to swimming so that I can get a workout in without overusing that tendon.

My question is: Why would my tendinitis get so aggravated 12 weeks after arthroscopic surgery that the doc medicates and tells me to lay off the running?

Is it possible I simply came back to running too hard/too far/too soon? I'm really scared that I'll never be able to run as a routine again and just wonder if this is really fairly common and successfully treatable.

What can I do for long-term care of this tendinitis, using as few medications as possible? Can I keep it from turning into a chronic/arthritic condition without giving up my favorite activity?

Thanks,
Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't we already been over this? Confused

http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1443

Dan
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Haven't we already been over this? Confused

http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1443

Dan

Sort of, but that doesn't really answer the question I asked in the subject of this message.

Aches and pains are one thing. Tendinitis, how common it is in folks post-op, and treatment are another.

Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, I am having some trouble with what I believe is mostly patellar tendinitis.

Seemed like pretty much the same subject to me, and since my reply to this one would be exactly the same...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have responded to the other viewtopic. My response here might be more applicable anyway.
I assume you had arthroscopy to correct the torn cartilage. You noticed they put 3 holes in you. One of those is used to blow the whole knee joint up so they can see what they're doing. So you now have 3 places where scar tissue can form, plus the areas where they cut away the plicae.
It's going to take awhile for your knee to settle down. With use that scar tissue is going to smooth over.
I don't know if you went through physical therapy. Continue doing leg extensions and hamstring work if you belong to a gym. Concentrate on stretching the hamstring where it ties in to the knee, even by putting weight on the knee or just above the knee to get the joint to straighten out fully. Use your NSAID's faithfully. Eventually you will be able to ween yourself from them.
You should be able to continue running, but take a lot of breaks. Literally, jog 100, walk 50. Eventually jogging 400, walking 100. When you get to the point of jogging 800, walking 100, without too much pain afterword, you probably are ready to go. But build up your steady state running slowly. To get to this point may take anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months. Don't get in too much of a hurry.
Cross training is good. Stay away from hard stair climbing workouts. Elliptical may be best.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: