Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Alan Webb Is Back (?)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Alan Webb Is Back (?) Reply with quote

Today was the USATF National Club Cross Country Championships. Interesting to note is that Alan Webb (yes, that Alan Webb) won in 30:13.1 just beating Daniel Lincoln who ran 30:13.4

Lincoln was a 3 time NCAA steeplechase champion for Arkansas so he was good competition for Webb.

Let's see what the future brings.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb's been showing up in a few road races and hanging with some pretty solid ex-collegiates. We'll see where this return to the longer stuff leads him... Surely can't be any worse off than he was last year hiding out during the fall.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is what he needs to get his head right. No media spotlight to deal with like on the track so he can just relax and run. Hope it does him some good because I think we would all like to see him ultimately succeed.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don' t think anyone out there wants to see Webb fail ... I think the cross country is good for him as it gives him a solid base to work from ... But I think the key to Webb will be what kind of speed work he does from this point forward ...

As a miler his strength was his speed ... 1:47.5 800 in high school is no mean feat ... That is what gave him his acceleration as a miler ... Something that has been sorely missing since ....

I hope Webb can return to form ... 3:34 can get him to the Games ... 3.32 can get him in the finals ... 3:30 would make him a contender for a medal ... But I think it is the speed that made him and it will be speed that brings him back ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally agree with Conway (who the heck just said that... wow I must have been gone a while).

I also think his speed work will determine his sucess as a miler. But I don't give a rats nose if he's a miler, a XC runner, or a distance man (that would be 3000m and up). I do think he can be a real world class American distance runner at 1500m or longer.

Good luck Mr. Webb!
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guru, I always knew we were on the same page ... But isn't the term World Class American Distance Runner an oxymoron ??? Smile ...

Seriously though I again agree with Guru ... I think Webb can be World Class at whatever discipline he settles on ... His speed would make him a terrifying 5000 runner ... Not sure how he would feel at double the distance, but whether 1500 or 5000 I think he has shown the ability to run with the best given he is in top condition ... Heck, he really shouldn't even be maturing for another couple of seasons !!!!!
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway

It maybe that we're both just desperate American distance fans. Or it could be the six pack+ that I've had since I got off work but I think you make complete sense. And I agree with you 100% Smile
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the desperate fans are those that continue to bash him ... They want an American contender sooooo bad and are feeling let down by him ... He is still very young ... And I see all the attributes of non-African distance stars (such as the Spaniards) in him ... Left alone he will be fine I do believe ... The big problem is that this is going to be an Olympic year and so the pressure WILL be on ... And Nike isn't paying him to mature ... They are going to want a return on thier money in this most lucrative of advertising years ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again that's right on the money.

On the upside should he not have an excellent year and Nike drops him there are still plenty of companies (Adidas, Fila, ect) who will still pay him top dollar to keep our hopes alive.

Thank goodness for the buying power of the American consumer.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I am expecting a solid year out of Webb ... Not sure if he is going to be the 3:29.99 guy that everyone wants, but I do see him sub 3:34 ... I think he has had a couple years now to adjust to life outside high school fame ... To heal up his body ... And make the mental adjustment to racing with the big boys each time out ... He will just have to shut out all the crap and focus on his lane so to speak ... At sub 3:34 he could be America's best (unless Krum decides to try the double at Trials) ... And actually I'd like to see him seek out Krum and his coach ... Although that may not happen as Webb seems very loyal to the man that got him there ... But with Krum as a training partner and a world class coach that understands the speed aspect of the 1500 I think Webb could go very far ... But Webb's coach got him to 3:34 and should be able to get him under that and that would be good for this season ... Making the team would quiet people long enough for Webb to truly develop ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a lotta love in the room! Smile

Quote:
And actually I'd like to see him seek out Krum and his coach ... Although that may not happen as Webb seems very loyal to the man that got him there ...

What was the deal recently with reports of Razcko stepping down? Was that just as the HS coach, or is he no longer coaching Webb? Working with De Olivera (sp?) would be a tremendous move for Webb.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard anything about Razcko ... But if he is stepping down as Webb's' coach it could be a blessing in disquise as it would allow him to do soemting different with a clear conscience ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reports I saw weren't terribly clear, so I'm not exactly sure what happened and why. Obviously, I'm not well enough informed on the matter to be spreading any authoritative rumors. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad Webb doesn't have a website ... I am amazed that Nike hasn't set one up for him ... Would be a great way to keep the public properly informed ... And perhaps alay some of the heat he has gotten over the past couple of seasons ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he gets back to his HS ways, I wouldn't be surprised to see a site spring up. But until then, I think everyone involved would prefer to stay as low profile as possible. Even Nike is probably better off banking on future success than current negative publicity.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: