Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Running Role Models

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just came across this site and am finding it quite enjoyable to read through the information! I am a beginning runner myself and a lot of the posts have given me a lot of new incite. I have found it difficult to find people in my area who enjoy running! Unfortunately that is the thing I have to work on the most! Anyways I was wondering whom everyone really admires as a runner? I really enjoy watching Marion Jones! I think she is incredible! You can learn a lot from her! Anyone have any other people they would like to share? I would love to hear your thoughts!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"a lot of the posts have given me a lot of new incite."

Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully, some of the posts have given you a little *insight* as well, as the hope is that this is a helpful place.... Smile

Marion does appear to be a very admirable person and athlete. The only thing she could possibly be faulted for is being willing to risk failure in the process of achieving her goals -- something that would make a lot of athletes better people.

To be honest, I look to non-elites more as role models. Not to take anything away from the work ethic of elite runners, but they tend to be the more gifted types who don't always have to fully test themselves to simply remain in the sport, let alone excel at it. Take a look at your average college team, and you will see lots of average folks grinding away at it simply because they enjoy what they are doing. No endorsements to entice them, just the satisfaction of doing their best. That's what I consider a role model.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Prefontaine,of course is considered a role model by me!!! Watch one of the movies on him, the movie just makes you want to go out and run!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Jane Fonda']
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, not another Pre lover....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping in a bit late on this one but here is my 2 cents worth. Walt Stack for his eccentic personality. Bill Rodgers for having a personality to match his talent. Ann Trason for her talent. Frank Bozanich for being able to still run great ultramarathon times at 56 yoa. And finally, my daughter who is one of those average college distance runners with no endorsements out there but a great love for our sport.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my role model is michael johnson

[Anonymously Posted by: 'leon']
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Polish, and like sprints. Therefore I have no choice but to say Marian Woronin and Irena Kirsensztein-Szewinska. Woronin was the European 100m record-holder for about 4 or 5 years. He ran 10.00s 100m in 1984. Szewinska was the first woman to hold the world records for 100m, 200m, and 400m at the same time, and she was first to break 51.00s and 50.00s for 400m.
Since I was born in 1973, I was actually able to see Woronin run. Szewinska is the Polish Athletic Federation's president and a member of the International Olympic Committee.
Indeur-Dekolak
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: