Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Favorite (five) movies of all time?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Favorite (five) movies of all time? Reply with quote

Mine would be:

5. Old School- Even though it's a new release (came out last year) it has managed to climb my list and make it to the Top 5. Will Ferell and Vince Vaughn are great even though the story kind of sucks. Most of the humor is adult-oriented and the movie is very entertaining throughout.

4. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings- Another semi-new movie that I'm sure everyone here has seen. I'll probably always think of it as the best LOTR movie just because it's the first and the awe factor was so huge. Never read the books, but may do so after seeing Return of the King in theaters this December.

3. The Shawshank Redemption- I saw this on TNT about three years ago and thought it was ok. But the more I saw it, the more I enjoyed it. I've probably seen it 10 times now and it still keeps me entertained. The final five minutes or so put a big smile on your face especially after watching the movie from the beginning.

2. A League of Their Own- Yep, a softball movie is in my Top 5. Neutral I've seen this movie more than any other movie in my life, and it's still funny and the final game still gives me goosebumps. Rosie O'Donnell is great in the movie and Madonna's character fits her personality perfectly. Tom Hanks also does a great job with the comedy and everything out of John Lovitz's mouth makes me Laughing for a few minutes. Plus, it takes place in Oregon! What's not to like?

1. Dumb and Dumber- Wow. Just WOW! Jim Carrey at his finest. Although nearly all of the laughs come from things you heard in third grade, the way Carrey delivers them just adds something. I wish my road trips were as entertaining as the journey from Rhode Island to Aspen ("California. Beautiful.")
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, that's quite the mix. I'm with you on LOTR and Shawshank, but I hated Old School and League of Their Own, and I refuse to watch Dumb and Dumber. I was always a fan of In Living Color, but I could barely sit through the Jim (James back then) Carrey skits. I find him even worse in movies now. I'd rather listen to fingernails on the chalkboard...

I was one of the relatively small number of people who actually watched Shawshank during its theatrical run. It got great reviews, but pretty limited release. Completely mesmerizing story. No idea how many times I've watched it (just watched it last week, in fact), but it never loses its magic.

LOTR's production value is off the charts, but I'm a bit disappointed by how mainstream of an action epic it has become. Seems a bit lacking on the real fantasy, but it's been ages since I read the books, so maybe I'm remembering The Hobbit more than the trilogy...

I'm not sure if I could pick a top 5 overall; probably would have to go by category.

Comedy:
1) L.A. Story
2) Naked Gun
3) See No Evil, Hear No Evil
4) Top Secret!
5) Airplane!

Honorable Mention: White Men Can't Jump, When Harry Met Sally, Dave, Cool Runnings

Action:
1) Jurassic Park
2) Terminator 2
3) Speed
4) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
5) Terminator

Honorable Mention: LOTR:TT, Die Hard 1 & 2, Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, Gladiator

Drama:
1) Do The Right Thing
2) Shawshank Redemption
3) The Godfather
4) Apollo 13
5) Boyz N The Hood

Honorable Mention: Apocalypse Now, Godfather 2

Mystery/Thriller:
1) The Usual Suspects
2) House of Games
3) Memento
4) Ten Little Indians (And Then There Were None)
5) Pulp Fiction

I'm sure I could refine the lists with a bit more thought... I basically pulled from just stuff in my collection, as it makes remembering the various greats quite a bit easier. A lot of really good movies don't have a high rewatchability factor and haven't made it into the collection. Neutral Thrillers are particularly tough, as it takes a great one to be worth watching again after you know the twists.

As Paul knows, I'm a bit of a movie fan. Dangerous topic to get me started on. Wink

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent topic D'sF Very Happy

In no particular order:

Four Weddings and A Funeral - I love British comedy and this is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Godfather/Godfather 2 - The two of them together may be the best story ever told on film. The entire family story and the evolution of what Michael becomes is facsinating.

The Deerhunter - Another powerful story with facsinating interplay between the characters. It may mean more to those of us who were closer to the Vietnam generation.

Forrest Gump - I love it. Tom Hank's best performance.

The Jericho Mile - Came out of the '70's and has very 70ish acting but I never seem to get tired of watching it.

Honorable Mention - Slingblade, Suicide Kings, O Brother Where Art Thou and The Christmas Story with Ralphie and his Red Ryder bb gun.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uuh...that last one was me...been watching Forrest Gump too much... Embarassed
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could chalk it up to age but I have only seen a few of the movies you mentioned, and most were on TV which doesn't really count. Whenever I talk to people about Old School, the majority said it wasn't funny and sucked. I've never laughed so hard (I'm sure I've said this before but this time I REALLY mean it) when Will Ferell was running naked "to the quad" and then asked "Honey, do you think KFC is still open?". I'm sure everyone in the theater heard me laughing at that part.

We just watched "The Mission" in European History and I the parts I saw were great. I say "the parts" because I kind of fell asleep in the middle. I really want to see The Godfather but just haven't found time to see it. I've also had "The Matrix" on DVD for nearly two years but never opened it. Neutral I also still need to finish the Two Towers on DVD.

Awesome! Just saw the Ducks beat Michigan!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mission is a very good movie, as I recall.

Micah, I'm assuming you'd agree that Godfather 3 is nowhere near the level of parts 1 and 2?

I thought about listing The Deerhunter -- I remember it being pretty powerful -- but it didn't leave a lasting enough impression on me years later to climb on the list. Maybe if I watched it again...

I enjoyed Four Weddings and a Funeral quite a bit, I must say. Definitely Hugh Grant at his best.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to think about the my other four favourites.

My favourite has to be;
Falling Down with Michael Douglas, it's a great film.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting selection; haven't seen it myself. I think you're the first person I've seen even recommend it, let alone name it an all-time favorite...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godfather 3 simply should not have been made....period. :t-:

The Deerhunter had more of an impact on me after seeing it a second time..and then a third...and then again....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Godfather 3 simply should not have been made....period.

I agree. The story felt very complete and had achieved an even level of excellence through the first two installments. Part 3 simply had no chance of living up to the expectations, let alone being more than a purely average flick. Too bad they don't release a box set that ignores Part 3...

I think I only saw Deerhunter once.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Solaris
4 Babylon 5 -- In the Beginning
3 Europa Europa (A Polish movie about a very young Polish Jew who hides his Jewish and Polish identity and becomes an SS officer) shows utter absurdity of the Soviet and Nazi totalitarian systems, and touches on one of the roots of the Polish - Jewish dislike/hate (who behaves how when the push comes to shove) by showing how two childhood friends grow apart
2 God Father
1 Showshank Redemption
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it doesn't really fit in with the topic, it has to do with movies...

I went to see School of Rock last weekend and I thought it was really good. Jack Black is really funny and the plot is pretty entertaining. It's not a must see for the theater experience, but I highly suggest at least seeing it when it comes to video. Has anyone else seen it?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Godfather 3 simply should not have been made....period.[/quote]
Micah, here's something I just read on a HT forum that might be of interest to you:

"By the way, you want to hear my biggest gripe with [i]Godfather III[/i]? No?
Well, I'm going to tell you anyway. From where I sit, the way to watch
[i]Godfather III[/i] is to start with the original opening, found on the 4th disc
of the box set. This original opening sets up the film beautifully. Watching the
theatrical cut, you are confused by Michael's sudden switch in character. He is
presented as an altruist, a man who has already redeemed himself to a point. It
begins with his Vatican award, and when Mary is seen donating those millions to
that Vatican trust fund, you have no idea that this money is a bribe to the
Church to allow another Corleone family attempt at increasing and consolidating
power.

When you watch the original opening first, which beautifully dovetails with the
opening to the first Godfather film, Michael's scheme is made achingly clear.
Everything afterwards, from his Vatican award, to Michael using his daughter as a
pawn in this scheme, is revealed as yet another corruption of his family to
achieve power for the family. This added dimension is exactly the sort of dualism
that was present in the first two Godfather films, but lacking to a large degree
in the theatrical cut of Godfather III. When you watch the original opening on
Disc Four, and *then* start the third movie, the whole thing clicks into place.
What baffles me is the reason Coppola decided to cut the original opening,
claiming he wanted to not present Michael in such a negative light. Hey, that's
the story you wrote, Mr. Coppola. Editorial re-imagining cut the intrigue out of
the 1st act. If you haven't watched the original opening, and then you see the
scene between Mary and Michael, where she needs to be reassured that the Foundation set up in her name is actually
legitimate, you think Michael may actually be on the up and up. Instead, he is
actually lying to her just as he lied to his wife at the end of Godfather I."
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting take on GF3. I haven't seen the deleted opening he was talking about. My thoughts have always been to question why you would even try to make a GF3. (Well, artisticly that is, we know there were millions of financial reasons.) If you look at Michael in GF1 at Connies wedding and then at the end of GF2 you see someone who goes from being a basically average joe to someone who is evil incarnate. When you look at what he has done to Fredo and Kate you have to wonder how much further you need to take it to show that he has become completely and irreversibly corrupt.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the story was quite complete after Part II and never understood the sentiments that it was designed as a 3 story arc. I don't know that I could bear sitting through Part III a second time, but the above review does make me wonder if it wouldn't flow a lot better with the original opening.

The [i]really[/i] good news is that Part I is being released separate from the ridiculously priced box set in May. I believe Part II will come along separately later this year or next. I can only assume Part III will never be released separately, as no one would buy it by itself. Rolling Eyes

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: