Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Ice baths

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Ice baths Reply with quote

Hello, i was wondering if anyone has ever tried ice baths. i was thinking of starting to take them after long runs and wondered if anyone had any experience or scientific understanding of how they can help you.

thanks, Cameron
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take them on a weekly basis throughout high school and my first 2 years of college (didn't have the facilities available to me after that). I always took them two days before races to relieve muscle soreness. Not giving yourself that extra day can leave you pretty stiff from sitting in ice...

I don't think there's really any evidence one way or another as to whether ice baths actually do anything, but those who partake in them seem to feel they help.

What I don't much care for is athletes whirlpooling (mild ice bath) after almost every workout. That's usually a sign of lower leg issues like shin splints or planta fasciitis, many of which can be actually treated quite easily instead of just numbed.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: