Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
shin splint exercise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calico

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: shin splint exercise Reply with quote

yesterday i emailed about a pain in my lower leg. shin splints.. i am going to do the exercise to get rid of them hopefully but was wondering in the meantime can i keep running just at a slower pace maybe??? i cant imagine giving up running for 2 weeks considering i have conditioned myself pretty well up till now and to stopping for that long will have an impact i'm sure.. what do you think???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely continue running during that time, just don't over-do it to the point that you're so sore the exercises are a constant uphill battle...

Dan
blhs_runner300
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i would continue running. but i know an excercise you can do at the end of your run.

as far as before you run, stretch, stretch, stretch first. and then after the run as part of the cooldown...take off your shoes and socks, go in the grass and do like, heel/toes, high knees, things like that (especially heel/toes...about 30m down and back). barefeet in the grass helps strengthen your ankles which in turns helps with shin splits.

or get (or make) one of those boards that you balance on with the little ball or whatever underneath to balance on. anything to strengthen ankles.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a lot of those exercises is that they tend to aggravate sore shins more than they strengthen the underlying problem. There are lots of ways to strengthen without aggravation...

Dan
baby t
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: what is best advice for someone with shin splints Reply with quote

What do you do when you first get shin splints :question: Cool
hutch
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Shin Splint Exercise Worked Quickly Reply with quote

I recently upped my training in preparation for my first marathon. I was a competitive runner 15 years ago, and never suffered biomechanical injuries.

Two weeks ago, I suffered my first significant shin splint. It had been a minor irritation for a couple months, but the severity went way up after logging some higher mileage.

Looking for something beyond R.I.C.E. (rest-ice-something-elevation), I found Dan's post about the shin splint exercise. I used a rolled up beach towel instead of rubber tubing, for 10 minutes 2-3 times/day.

Within a couple days, the pain had subsided and two days later I was running again. I've continued to do the exercise since then, figuring it can't hurt to stay on top of things. I still seem to have a very slight shin splint, but it doesn't bother me any more. I'm running at a pain-free higher intensity.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent. Which marathon are you training for?
hutch
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on running the California International Marathon in December, in Sacramento. Supposed to be a terrific fast course if the weather cooperates (no rain).
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hutch,

Thanks for posting this for the benefit of others (we spoke in private previously). I'm glad to hear the shin splints have continued to stay in the background after a few more days -- you should be well on the road to recovery!

Quote:
Looking for something beyond R.I.C.E. (rest-ice-something-elevation),

The "C" is for compression. That one always struck me as a bit odd...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: