Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Shin splints

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 1999 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I avoid shin splints? When I was younger I never got shin splints. I hadn't ran for years and am now trying to get my mileage up. I've taken time off from running, I've rested, streched, etc. Maybe, I need to try different shoes? Any recommendations.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for the lengthy delay in responding. If you stop by the running tips page, you'll see what I have found works best for alleviating shin splints. Additionally, overly worn shoes could be a culprit.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself was on a 10 year break from running before i just laced up the shoes this spring. I jumped right in, putting in 35 miles a week, which was not smart and a cause of severe shin splints, which actually led to hairline stress fractures....which sidelined my running and sent me to a physical therapist. He informed me that I overpronate. "Bollucks", I told him, what did he know. So I rested for two weeks, and started running again, only to get worse.
So I figured since the guy had a PHD, he might not be so dumb after all. I checked into some motion control shoes, and purchased a great pair called Nike Air Structure Triax. I have been pounding the pavement, including a complete increase in milage, filled with races and long runs, and shins have been defect-free.

It's all about body mechanics, so if you are running and suffering with sore shins, you don't have to. Talk to a PHD and don't flip out if they tell you that you run like an ape...they know how to heal your pain.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Michael']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. I should point out that the link above to the running tips is no longer correct. It'll tell you where to go, but the direct link is here.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbies(my word for new runners) are always getting the dreaded Shin-Splints.To go from complete inactivity(0 Running) to training for XC
and running in excess of anything more then 1 mile
is complete lunicy!Rest,Ice and Stretching are the only things that will fix those buggers!Sure,
wearing the right shoe for you is common sense.
When you are able to run -do so on grass,inyour bare feet.You will begin to strengthen muscles and
ligaments you never thought you had.

Runningly...

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Coach Mike']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: