Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
The worst athlete to perform great at one time - FLUKE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who?-add yor options for the next 7 days, and vote for the next 77.
Marcin Urbas, Poland, 19.98s vs 20.30s/20.40s over 200 m for c.5 years
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
J.J. Johnson
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: The worst athlete to perform great at one time - FLUKE. Reply with quote

The worst athlete to perform great at one time - FLUKE.

___I remember when I was getting up-set with people calling Marcin Urbas a fluke when he ran 200 m in 19.98 in Seville. However, now, after Urbas has not been able to ran under 20.40s 200 m for the last three years. I am pretty certain that his maximum speed should not exeed 20.30s 200 m in the forseeable future.
___I would like to nominate Marcin Urbas, the Polish national record holder in 200m, to be The Fluke of the 1990's.
___20.30/20.40 vs 19.98.

Last edited by Indeurr on Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJ Johnson has to be a "one hit wonder" candidate in the 200, also. He's still running well in the 100, though, so the verdict is still out on him.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson can't be put in that category at all ... He has already run 20.05 and 20.26 this year ... That's only .07 off Urbas' best !!! JOhnson is the real deal ... Just hasn't found consistency yet ... At least prior tothis season ... So far he is the most consistent sprinter around ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100m running aside, though, has he lived up to the level his monster 19.89 (?) performance hinted at? Other than a few fast early season times at altitude, when has he mixed it up in any 200's of note? Not saying he can't, just that he hasn't.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well his 20.26 won the Oracle 200 this year over a pretty strong field ... Not saying everyone hasn't expected MORE ... But what did MJ do after 19.32 ??? Or Carl Lewis after 9.86 ??? I could name others ... In order to considered along side Urbas, JJ would have to be running above 20.50 and no where near the mix ... And that has not been the case ... He hasn't broken 19.50 but neither has anyone else !!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But MJ and Carl ran great times that predicted WR class performances, if not huge breakthroughs. JJ Johnsons was a virtual unknown before popping the big one, and all he's really done (in the 200) since then is tease us with the possibility of getting back to that level. After watching him come off that turn in lane 9, we were talking seriously about his raw talent and the potential to be one of the all time greats in the 200...

Dan
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeurr,

Why do you start every sentence of every post with ____ ?

Why do you post questions as polls rather than just starting a discussion?

On the topic:

JJ Johnson isn't in Urbas's category as a one-time wonder, although he has come nowhere near fulfilling the potential that 19.89 indicated.

I think that WC semi final was simply wrong. The times were so extreme, so out of kilter with the rest of the meet, the rest of the year, the rest of the athletes' careers. Obikwelu ran 20.11 for 3rd in the final, 20.05 in June and also 20.06A. 19.84? No way.

Urbas ran 20.30 for 5th and a 20.32 qf, also 20.34 to win the EP. Next best that year was 20.49. He's only broken 20.40 once since, with 20.39. 19.98? No way, I don't believe it.

Justin
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ot agree with Justin here ... When you look at everything else Urbas has done that one race is a clear abberation .. Obikwelu has been closer to fulfilling that type of performance from the standpint that he has run 9.97 forw 100 ... Showing that he does have the speed to run 19.8 ... But I think both would do better to run the 400 ... A wide open event lacking speed ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: