Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
marathon training question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcp262
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: marathon training question Reply with quote

I was going to run the dc marathon this past weekend but it was cancelled. I decided not to waste all my hard work and am now running the nashville marathon in 5 weeks. How do I train for the next 5 weeks so that I don't overtrain and burnout mentally and physically but I also don't undertrain and lose conditioning. I've been using the runner's world intermediate training program. I was thinking about repeating the last 5 weeks of the program but I'm not sure this the right thing to do. Please help!!
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough situation and I don't have an answer. I would not push too hard during these 5 weeks though. Concentrate on maintenance and listen to your body. I would think one or two more long runs would be needed to keep from losing too much conditioning.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do and how it works.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the specific layout of that program, but the general approach I would recommend to such a situation is to have a 1 week "re-entry" phase, 2.5-3 weeks of moderate to solid training, followed by 1-1.5 weeks of tapering back down like you did the last week of the initial program. Jumping straight back into the training right now will probably throw you off for the next month, so easing back in that first week is important. Since you will only have 3 weeks of training when the next taper rolls around, you shouldn't have much cumulative fatigue to worry about.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan's advice sounds good. Very Happy
jcp262
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: marathon- thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice- this week is light running, no runs over 7-8 miles. I think I'm going to limit my long runs to 1-2 13 mile runs and 1 16-18 mile run. Use the last five weeks of the program I trained with and scale it back a little. The hardest part of this entire thing has been the mental aspect. I was so mentally ready to run, to have to go back into training mode and then gear up to race again is hard so I'm trying to stay positive.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Keep us posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: