Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Arm Movement?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
I somehow never can get the arm 'swinging' straight. What is the best way to swing your arms to obtain optimum movement? My arms keep crossing over my chest area. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sue

[Anonymously Posted by: 'the']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cross over in front is acceptable for distance running, but not for shorter stuff. The thing to keep an eye on is whether or not your torso rotates as a result of the cross over. If it does, your hips will likely rotate the other way to compensate, making for an inefficient stride.

A good way to develop proper armswing is to grab some dumbbells, stand alongside a full mirror, and do 50-100 arm swings while watching your form in the mirror. Two things happen:

1) You will swing straight ahead. Why? Because you'll hit your hip with the dumbbell otherwise!

2) By watching yourself, you can ensure that you keep your arm at 90 degree angle, i.e. perpendicular at the elbow.

Extend your elbow back as far as you can comfortably, and bring it forward in the same manner. Do that until it is comfortable and you should be much improved. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arm swings in the mirror with 2-5lb weights are helpful for improving awareness of what you're doing.

One other thing to keep in mind is that arm swing contributes only to vertical momentum or vertical "lift". So emphasizing a vigorous upward swing is probably the most important aspect of arm swing technique.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the backward arm extension have a similar, although indirect, effect? I would think the pulling back with one arm assists in the powerful extension with the opposing arm and leg as part of the balancing. Sort of like karate.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2000 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretend you are slinging guns from each of your hips. Move your arms so you could grab the "gun" each time you swing your arms.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'bigd']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: