FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
predicting 400m performance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathaniel
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: predicting 400m performance Reply with quote

i am looking for some coaching advice/insight.

some background: i am a former collegiate 800m/mile/cross-country runner. i am now unattached and "coach" myself. in the last year, i've started moving down in distance. last summer, i set a suprising personal and season best of 48.3 handtimed. prior to that season my outdoor best was 53.2 ht from high school. in college, i didn't compete at 400m, though occasionally i'd run the 4x4. my best split was 53.1.

indoors this year, i've been concentrating on my top end by doing very high quality 200's (low volume, lots of rest). my last few workouts i've started dipping below 22s, with best runs around 21.5-6 (walking starts, 200m flat track, outer lanes 5 & 6). needless to say, i am very excited about these results.

my question: this is completely uncharted territory for me. i think setting attainable stretch goals is a very important part of the training process. any ideas on what would be a reasonable goal for outdoors, long term? the numbers i am thinking sound ridiculus to me. i would appreciate the un-biased perspective of some one on the "outside". any thoughts on 400m training in general would also be appreciated.

thanks
~n
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a huge improvement! Surprised

I don't have much to offer in the way of specific 400m race predictors, but it seems like you're on the right track with the sub-22 sec. 200m work. That should be setting you up for close to 47-flat, maybe even under, if all goes well.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is completly irrelevant,but Nathaniel is also my name. Nathaniel very unusual,as I've never met another Nathaniel.
As for the 400m training, I have found some Webpages in which it lists 400m training. And I do agree with Dan, you have improved hugly in your 400m PR. 5.1s wow!!! :surprised:
Keep it up!! I shall post the 400m sites that i've found later.
X King
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a great webpage full of training for various events it shows a 400m/800m training page. Check it out:
http://www.elitetrack.com/links.html
If the link does not work let me know and I'll see what I can do.
X King
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a Nathaniel in Jr. High, but I don't think I've met any since...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: