Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Super Bowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Super Bowl Reply with quote

How many of you all watched the game???

Here are a couple of thoughts from the HAMMER:

1st: Celine Dion singing "God Bless America". Isn't she Canadian?? Can't they find an American to sing the

2nd: Madden and the rest of the American Football world calling the game a World Championship. It's really an American Championship. Is there any question that the World Cup of Soccer is the most presigious World Championship???

3rd: Best Commercial??? Osbornes and the Osmonds Pepsi Add.

4th: I had 1;1 for the final score and then Gannon throws his 5th interception costing me some cash.

I've got more but I'll save them
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1st: Celine Dion singing "God Bless America". Isn't she Canadian??
You'd be suprised how many top entertainers are Canadian... But yes, that is rahter ironic. Furthermore, I believe she's French Canadian, which is even further from American.

Quote:
2nd: Madden and the rest of the American Football world calling the game a World Championship.

That always bothers me, too. All the big US sports do that. It's a bit unfair, since other countries either don't play the sports or are not invited to the "world championship," but at least in the case of football and basketball (not sure about baseball), it's accurate that other teams would get stomped.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed it. Just haven't had the desire to watch any pro sports for the last several years. Last championship series to see was baseball when Scott Brosius won best player for the Yankees. Can't pin it down why, interest has just waned. Would rather go to the Field House and watch Team Guru workout, if I lived in Kearney, or watch Team Hammer run if I lived in New Mexico! Smile
Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest in football has waned big time (I think attending OSU during the lean years may have had an effect on me!), but I'm still a die-hard basketball fan. Portland won in Dallas yesterday, so all is good. Smile

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was at a little bit of a loss as to why they had a French-Canadian sing good bless America. But at least she got the words right, unlike Anastasia (sp?) at the Baseball All Star game.

Being a coach in the NCAA I can't bet on sports other than horse racing and possibly boxing. So I lost no cash on the game, of coarse I didn't win any either.

I liked the fire hydrant/dog commercial the best myself. Although I still like the two women mud wrestiling over less filling or tastes great more than anything I saw on Sunday.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very bothered by Tampa Bay's play calling in the second half (which Madden correctly predicted and I also knew was coming). If it wasn't for their vastly superior defense, that conservative, boring, playing not to lose nonsense almost surely would have cost them the game. Same thing happens in almost every sport. As soon as you try too hard to not make mistakes, mistakes become inevitable...

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprised me more than anything was how BAD Gannon played. I wonder when the last time (if ever) he threw 5 interceptions???

Best parts of the game (for me anyways) were the Brautwurst, Beer, and Hot Wings I consumed after my run. You can't beat a HAMMER BRAUT.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like between Conway, Hammer and Micah, this Forum could put together a Tail Gate cooking show that could debut on the Food Network. Thumbs Up

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the door is open...........

We peeled our shrimp before we cooked it and put it in Italian dressing to marinate. Then we made our cole slaw with two special ingredients, chopped up pecans and sweet pickle juice. I prefer my Grandmothers home made pickles but you guys will have to improvise.

We then put the shrimp on a George Forman grill for two minutes and served it with the slaw and a white zinfandel.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... Cool
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a southern reciepe if I ever heard one. Sounds good. Although I don't know about white zinfandel, I'd probably just go with a beer. Smile
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the lovely and charming Mrs Ward did have a light German brew, Warstiener, with hers and she was very pleased with how it all combined together.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, it might pain you to read this, but knowing your affinity for certain beverages and certain hurdlers, just thought I'd pass along this Gail Devers USATF teleconference excerpt...

Quote:
I look at myself as being 19, regardless of what my mother might say. I know I’m 36, but I don’t feel like that. I view it as a mindset. I have so much to learn. It think it’s how you live your life – I have never had a drink stronger than grape juice. I’ve never smoked anything. With that, my body is clean so I can keep doing whatever I want.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some in life who serve to be a beacon of exemplary living.

Then there are those of who simply serve as bad examples.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you know which side of the fence you're on... Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: