Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Speed work

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, i am a middle distance runner. And do you reccomend doing speed work during base period as long as i get all my mileage in.... just so my legs dont get too slow for the middle distance event?? what do you think?
-matt

[Anonymously Posted by: 'matt']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

Yes, I definitely recommend maintaining some level of quality (what most people call speed work) during the base periods precisely for the reason you mentioned.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks dan,
so on the average, how many days should one do speed work? on base period that is. This won't mess up the cycles or make my boddy worn out?
thanks

[Anonymously Posted by: 'dam']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help to know what you're referring to as speed and base work, as those are very arbitrary terms that mean significantly different things to different people.

I believe that every day should incorporate some speed development, even distance days. Pure speed work has no place in base periods, except possibly for sprinters, but that's probably not the kind of speed work you're talking about.

A quality pace/tempo workout can be done once or twice a week during a base period. Just keep the quantity/distance high enough to avoid sharpening too early.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: