Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
My Goodness.....My Knees are Killing Me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

I used to run about 35 miles a week at a leisurely pace of about 8.5 - 9.0 min. miles. It was great for keeping my weight in check. Then I moved to a northern state where running was miserable in the summer and impossible in the winter....so I quit. Now I live where I can run again, 10 years later and 40 pounds heavier *ouch*! When trying to run now, my knees hurt me, and continue to be sore for days afterward. I'm screwed unless I can get back into a running routine. Any suggestions? I'm 54 now, am I too old?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dannyboy']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a difficult situation, but not entirely impossible. My guess is the weight is the major cause of knee pain, so approach it from the standpoint of getting back into shape while minimizing the pounding. Add some cycling and/or swimming, mixing in some short runs as you begin to feel a bit lighter and fitter.

Best of luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Dan, and I think you're absolutely right....the pain comes from the excess baggage. Someone told me that using Glucosamine/Chondroitin would help. What is your opinion about that?

Dannyboy

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dannyboy']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything conclusive about that (I don't think anyone really does), but my experience with it was very positive. Read this page for my account of how it affected my recovery from an injury. It's anecdotal at best, but it's hard to argue with the extreme difference in recovery times.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: