Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
40 Yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: 40 Yards Reply with quote

Dan,Conway,anyone,how do you calculate 30m or 40m times during
50m,60m or 100m races into a 40 Yard time???Thanks!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I've never heard of that being done... 40y times are such a joke, often being accurate +/- 0.5 seconds, sometimes timed from a running start, etc., that I don't think anyone would bother converting to them. Just take a rough split during a longer race or time a separate 40y and you'll probably get much better accuracy. Of course, if you're looking to convert existing data, that doesn't help you much.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: 40 Yards Reply with quote

Thankyou Dan!!
Respect! ! !
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan's assessment of 40 times ... Most 40 times rae irrelefent becasue of hte way they are run and taken .. hand held watches ... Rolling starts ... Inacurrate stoping of the watch at the finish ... These times are taken during football practices, not organized and regulated competitions ... Hell I was clocked at 4.5 when I was 13 and could only clock 11.1 for 100 meters !!! You can always make mathematical comarisons by simply setting up simple algebraic equations solving for x where x equals the time for othe distance you are searching for ... But the results will be as irrelevent as the data you input - namely the 40 time ... Better indicators are 50 or 60 times that have been run under controlled conditions, ie actual track and field competitions ... Then you have relevent data ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can always make mathematical comarisons by simply setting up simple algebraic equations solving for x where x equals the time for othe distance you are searching for

As noted, this wouldn't provide much accuracy, as every 10m increment during a sprint race is steadily overcoming the time lost at the start, roughly a tenth of a second per 10m faster than the average time for the race, if that makes any sense.

Conway, you ran 11.1 as a 13 year old? Wow, that would've placed at our conference meet last year... (Or any year, for that matter.)

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: