Distance Den
Footlocker 2002

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the trick is finding the right athlete and the right situation, and knowing who your DI recruiting competition is and what sort of people they are likely to overlook. Who knows, there could be another Amber Trotter out there waiting to be sold on a good, smaller school...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually coachd has come as close as just about anyone in D2 to landing a footlocker All-American. When I was a Junior in high school Ronald Roybal (of Running with the Buffaloes) burst on to the seen, really coming out of nowhere (I had never lost to him in our 4 previous races, even though I was a year younger) to win NM 3A state title in a classic race with a kid named Lance Foster (I was 4th). Any way Ronalds best friend (and my future teammate) Lee Garcia had gone to Highlands the year before and was really pulling hard to get Ron to come to NMHU. And it looked like that was where he was headed (at the time UNM didn't recruit in state, and although Ron was having a good season he'd been off the D1 radar before that and from what I understand wasn't hearing from many D1's) until he ran two amazing races in a row first surprising the heck out of the entire state by making footlocker nationals and then finishing well enough to be All-American, 12th I think. And with those two races he got attention from the big schools and coachd's chances of getting him died.

If only you could have gotten him to sign early coach Sad

Amazingly enough of the three NM men that I ran against that were footlocker finalists only Ron finished at a D1. Matt Twiest (my high school nemisis) went to Bates (a D3, in Maine I think) and Brandon Leslie (my college nemisis) who signed with Northern Arizona but left without running a race for them, went to Southwestern Indian Polytechnique Institute (SIPI) and then Adams State College (a D2 in Colorado). With that in mind coach keep writing those letters, who knows what could happen.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like Hammer overwhelmingly secures bragging rights in this thread. He's picked both winners and 5 out of the top 10 men's and 6 out of the top 10 women's!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Coachd also gets 6 out of the top 10 women.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerds Wink Smile
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but coachd passed me in Fantasy Football.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of years back you did real well in that hows it going for you this year? I hope you haven't been using to many of my Cowboys on your team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: