Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Base training for sprinting/middle distance

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an old book this week-David Hemery's 'Another Hurdle' from the late seventies. I was surprised at how much base training he did-lots of 5 mile runs at 5:30 pace or even faster. He was the world record holder and gold medalist from the 400m hurdles in '68. He did lots of hill running too and often ran twice a day.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave M']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that during a base phase or the actual build up to competition? It seems reasonable for either, although a bit long for the competitive period for an intermediate hurdler. I'm not familiar with Hemery, did he do other events? Today's intermediate hurdlers are more or less sprinters, but those tempo runs seem more like what an 800/1500 guy would do. Hill running certainly makes sense for hurdling.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemery ran some 800m races to get in shape in the spring too. He said they made him sharp. He even did a couple decathlons to make him tough. The 5 mile runs would be in the morning followed by some speed or hill workout in the afternoon-this was in his base phase in November and December.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave M']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, so I was on the right track. I wouldn't have guessed decathlons, though. The 400h and 800m are supposed to be pretty similar in terms of energy demands, so I can see why they would help his hurdling.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: