Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Police Run

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Police Run Reply with quote

On November 2nd they are having a police written test, and those that pass go on immediately to do a 1.5 mile run. Over the last three weeks I have started to try and get in shape (no one knew when the testing was) and I can't help but think I will come up short. I have been doing just a slow casual jog but I was totally wore out when I went ahead and attempted the distance that we are required to run. I managed 5 laps when you need 9.5 laps. I had to stop because I couldn't catch my breath.

Did I just simply start running too late? I'm 29 and though I'm slim at 130 pounds, I'm in good health, and most people I know who are equally as out of shape as I am seem to be able to make the time. (14 minutes or less) It seems like even at a slow pace (still keeping in mind the time I must beat) I can't seem to do it. Is this run that I must do just simply not a reality? Should I maybe wait and train a year and maybe go for it next year? I'm really angry at myself for letting myself get so out of shape. I have been determined to make this run, but it's this coming Saturday and I don't think I'm ready at all. Though most the guys I know that can complete the run don't run daily either! Is it my breathing? Is it all mental?

- Frustrated
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when you're in shape, most any new training regimen will take a few weeks to adapt to. There's the initial physical shock of it, then getting over the subsequent fatigue... It's never too late to start running, but no one can tell you from across the 'net what your chances are of doing well this week. You just need to stay positive, make sure you're as rested and prepared as possible in the time remaining, and just see what happens. If it doesn't work out, then you just answered your question about whether to wait until next year and do it right. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are taking a written test with a bunch of other people and then a group goes out for a run at the same time, you might find it a lot easier to keep up with the pace with the other runners. We are talking just under a 9:30 mile pace here, certainly doable for anyone who has been jogging awhile. Good luck!!

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a personal trainer I had three or four members of the gym ask me about these sort of test either for the fire department, police or millitary. I always told them to wear a watch, that way you can tell if you are on pace or not (assuming it's allowed). Generally I recommend trying to run as even a pace as possible. If your running on a 400m (quarter mile) track then you will want to hit these splits to get 14 minutes for 1.5 miles.
200m (first 1/2 lap)= 1:10
400m (lap 1)= 2:20
800m (lap 2)= 4:40
1200m=7:00
1600m= 9:20
2000m 11:40
2400m=14:00

The reason I gave you the split time for the first half lap is so you don't accidentally go out too fast and hurt yourself in the long run. I think your best bet is to try and hit the split times right on for the first two or three laps and then try to gradually speed up to give yourself a little wiggle room under the time.

And just so you know every person I've talked to about these kind of runs has done much better than they expected. A little adreniline and the company and compotition of having others around will make you run faster and easier than you normally can. Good luck Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: