Distance Den
2002 XC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injuries= Improved posting performance... hhhhhhhmmmmmm.

With approaching 3300 posts I'm begining to believe that you might not be joking about having had every running injury possible Idea
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a guy gotta do to be believed around here?! Smile

I must point out, however, that I was hovering around 900 posts when Conway came along... Sort of like his Sprint Central thread about Chambers being the catalyst for Montgomery's breakthrough season. Wink

Dan
- the performance enhanced posting machine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving the Willamette Men's Cross Country aspect of the thread... How's this for amazing factoid of the week? The men have moved up to #1 in the nation in this week's DIII poll, and that despite the top guy running #5 and #4 on the squad the past two meets, respectively!! Surprised

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty darn impressive!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll also appreciate that Nebraska Wesleyan jumped way up in the poll. The past three weeks have seen them go 8 to 20 to 6. They seem to have everyone confused...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they tend to do that to people. It stems from how they take races off. Some times they'll sit a runner, and sometimes they have them only really run half the race, just kind of cruiseing along for the other half. So you look at the results and all their horses ran but they'll be a minute and a half or so slower than they should be. And if you don't wittness the race in person you never know if they were cruiseing, sick, injuried, out of shape, ect. Everyone knows they've got some really good runners, but nobody knows how good they really are. I tend to think their pretty darn good, but that won't be much help when it comes to ranking them.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunatley for them, the rankings don't matter. Smile

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for us. I was just looking over the results of the North Central Conference Championship meet. They're the other conference in the region that has some really good teams. (In an opinion that I share with every coach in the region and most others that know what they're talking about the NCC is the second toughest conference in D2, behind our conference, the RMAC) In the regional polls we're ranked 9th with N. Dakota State 8th, UN-Omaha 7th, U of N. Dakota 6th, S. Dakota 5th and SDSU 4th. I honestly think we are better than NDSU, my 1 and their 1 are a push and they'll have their 2 close behind, but then I think we make up for it in the 3-4-5 spots. UN- Omaha has been beating us since the first race I coached here and they've already done it twice again this year. My 1 is at least as good as their 1 (personally I think she's better, but I'm biased) but then they put 4 or 5 in front of my 2 and thats the end of it. But they're pack time was almost a minute this weekend and our pack has steadily been tightening up all year. I'm not bold enough to say that I think that we will beat them at regionals, but I'm starting to believe it's possible. Of coarse that still leaves us two spots short of quailifying, but UNO, UND, SDU and SDSU are so close that if we sneek by one we might sneek by three.

Of coarse with all those ifs and buts I'm almost hoping for christmas all year long.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my 1 and their 1 are a push and they'll have their 2 close behind, but then I think we make up for it in the 3-4-5 spots.

That could be very significant in a big race...

Oh, to add to the impressive #1 ranking above, the team's regular #3 man ended up redshirting this season, as did last year's #7 guy.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is one deep team! The only programs that I can think of that could pull something like that off are Western and maybe Stanford. Just out of curiousity, how good is Calvin this year? I thought they were too D3 what Adams or Western was in D2.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin has been a bit off the past 2 years, which for them means top 6 in the nation!

I forgot to mention, there's also a freshman redshirting (came into the season injured) who would probably be 6th man right now after only a couple weeks of training...

Now you see why I was arguing for smaller schools (that emphasize recruiting and development, of course) having a possible advantage over DI schools when quality of depth is the quality in question. Wink

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: